« OH MY CREATOR! | Main | Not Again »
May 18, 2004
General Ramblings on Death

by Faisal Akhtar

"Every soul shall have a taste of death: And only on the Day of Judgement shall you be paid your full recompense. Only he who is saved from the Fire and admitted to the Garden will have succeeded. For the life of this world is but goods of chattels of deception" (al-Imran 3:185)

This is to anyone who has any doubts about this fact. "You're gonna die". Period. End of story. This is not a claim I am making, it is a fact proven by the Quran. Whenever someone dies, or whenever the topic of death comes up in my family, people usually say "Lets stop talking about this, lets talk about something GOOD." To which I say "It is very good to talk about death and to remember it" To which the reply usually is "Allah Forbid. Either speak good things or remain silent". As if talking about it will hurry up death or not talking about it will postpone it. Why can't we have a good straight conversation about death? Are we so in love with this life that we are even afraid to speak about death?

Our love for this life is manifest in one of the most foolish costums. How many of us celebrate birthdays? People will tell you that it is a celebration of life when it really is not. Let us forget for a second that it is Kafir custom and we should not be imitating the Kuffar and think about what birthdays really are. Every birthday is a celebration of us getting closer to our end. What we are bascially saying is "Today, I am that much closer to my death and it is such a joyous occasion that I will throw a party and recieve gifts in celebration of my proximity to my own death. Yaaay!"

One of the reasons humiliation has decended on this ummah is because of our love for this life.

The Prophet said: "The People will soon summon one another to attack you as people when eating invite others to share their food." Someone asked, "Will that be because of our small numbers at that time?" He replied, "No, you will be numerous at that time: but you will be froth and scum like that carried down by a torrent (of water), and Allah will take the fear of you from the breasts (hearts) of your enemy and cast al-wahn into your hearts." Someone asked, "O Messenger of Allah, what is al-wahn?" He replied, "Love of the world and dislike of death." [Abu Dawud and Ahmad]

The Prophet (saws) also said: "When you involve yourselves in interest bearing business transactions, and you hold on to the tails of cows, and you are pleased with agriculture (i.e. the land) and you abandon making Jihaad in the Cause of Allaah, Allaah will send humiliation down upon you. He will not remove it from you until you return back to your Religion." [Abu Dawood and al-Bayhaqee]

We have abandoned Jihad because of our love for this life. Intead of struggling in the cause of Allah and his deen, we struggle for the causes of our Nafs. Make no mistake about it brothers and sister, you are in a constant state of struggle and Jihad. Even Geroge W. Bush is engaged in Jihad but his Jihad and struggle is for something other than for the sake of Allah. We all hear statement like "Life sucks" because life is not easy. We all must struggle, that is the nature of life but what are we struggling for? Let us make the struggle that is life for the sake of Allah and wish for the most honourable death anyone can hope to achieve i.e. the death of a Shaheed.

O Allah make my actions that are of the Saliheen, help me lead the life of a Siddiq, grant me the death of a Shaheed and the company of the Messengers in the hereafter. Ameen

"Keep much in remembrance of death, which is the destroyer of pleasure." [Tirmidhi]

Wow, I am reading this back to myself and I realize how bad this entry really was. Please nobody say that this one was good cuz I know it was horrible.

on May 18, 2004 10:20 AM

Asalaam Aleikum warahmatullah Wabarakatu,

Actually brother I think you were really going on the right track. I recommend you continue it as I am sure there is much more that you wanted to expand on.

Also there is an interesting thing a sheikh said to me as I was talking to him about the same sunject during one of his lessons. He said that really if you look in the Qu'ran just about every sura mentions death or at least what is after death...as a constant reminder of what is a noble truth(as the buddhists would say)...that everyone will die.

Masha Allah brother I really would like to hear more from you on this subject. I hope insha Allah that you will.

wasalaam Warahmatullah wabarakatu

on May 18, 2004 1:29 PM

As Salamu Alaikum

"Please nobody say that this one was good cuz I know it was horrible"

No brother it was a real eye-opener Mashallah.I can see you were writing from ur heart-remember thats what ALLAH looks at,we are writing for ALLAH's pleasure so it doesnt matter if people think it's good or not.

Ameen to your dua.May ALLAH reward you for making me pause in this rat race of the dunya and remember my final destininy."You're gonna die". Period. End of story. " May ALLAH take us to him with the Shahada on our lips.

Ameen

on May 18, 2004 2:07 PM
Gillette aka Hassan[uddin] Khaja said

Yeah, this wasn't a very good article :-P

on May 18, 2004 10:25 PM

Hmm... So you chose to tell people when they write poorly while you choose not to tell people when they write well? That is a double standard Hassan. Make up your mind.

I really can't wait to see you get Murdered by Aroos. I will have bloody satisfaction (Evil Laughter).

on May 18, 2004 11:11 PM
J said

I think bro. Faisal will help al Aroos murder brothers Talal and Hassan and will then propose to her...just a thought...

This is actually a really interesting topic. Good piece but a bit short. Br. Faisal, could you please do a few more installments on death? I find it really unnerving that every time I want to speak about death with my family they make a face like I just shoved a lemon in their mouth and tell me to speak good...how the heck are we supposed to keep our 'eye on the prize' and focus on the hereafter if we cant even TALK about it? Then when someone passes away everyone gets all shocked and remembers death and purpose for a whole 48 hours before going back to their routine again.

on May 19, 2004 3:00 AM

Sister J,
If I hadn't already planned out the rest of the story, that would've been apt indeed.

Faisal,
I thrown in another vote to re-visit this in a more comprehensive piece. This is one of those "all-choked-up-with-tears" topics that the soul needs to hear as much as possible to remind oneself of our purpose in the dunya.
JazaakAllah khair for the reminder anyway.

on May 19, 2004 10:00 PM

Death is that harsh reality which is faced by every human who lives. It is the one thing which we will all experience - be we men, women, Muslims, Christians, Blacks, Whites or any other type of person on this earth. It is something which does not discriminate. It is that long journeys end by which the righteous will benefit from, and the unrighteous will suffer from. It is the return to the One who has created this phenomenon so that He, may judge us all for what we have done, as He says in His book:

"It is He who has created life and death, so that He may test which of you is best in deed"

(Surah Al- Mulk 67:2).

However, death is no longer remembered amongst mankind, unless a relative or a loved one passes away. And even then, tears are shed for a brief time before we forget again about this reality. How many people has this state of forgetfulness caught unaware? Some of us believe that we will die according to the life expectancy of our nation, which the statisticians give us. We believe that it is something which will only hit us when we are old and frail. We see it as something far off in the horizon, which will not touch us for a long time to come. But whilst we enjoy the pleasures and comforts of life, death comes ever nearer to the soul. It creeps up on us like a shadow in the night, when we least expect it. Every breath we take, every move we make it comes closer:

"Indeed they see it as distant, but We see it as near"

(Surah Al-Ma'arij 70:6-7).