« Babes, Booze and Busting Caps | Main | ISRU's Guide to Honorable Survival »
September 8, 2004
How To Meet Women At ISRU, Part 2

by Gillette aka Hassan[uddin] Khaja

Among the rules of the da'wah of Rasoolullah (sallahu 'alaihi wa sallam) was that certain rulings were implemented in a certain order as Allah ta'ala and his rasool saw fit. Since Rasoolullah (sallahu 'alaihi wa sallam) is our haadi, we must follow his example, including with regards to da'wah. So, first thing's first. First, it is advisable to read Part 1 before going on to Part 2.

What you call "feminism," I call "JACKPOT!!!!!!!"

I'd like to apologize to my beloved brothers for misleading them. Part 1 wasn't a necessary part of meeting women at ISRU. It's like it's one of the nawaafil of meeting someone - nice, but not required.

The committees are a very valuable part of the Islamic Society of Rutgers University. They do the bulk of the work, and, as with any organization, their members should ideally be doing all the work, whereas the committee heads, the shura, and the amir should be delegating responsibility and be held accountable for the committees. By the time the work - for the sake of Allah ta'ala I might add, which means the motivational role of the leaders is minimized - gets down to these members, it's divided into smaller tasks, so it isn't incredibly overwhelming.

But our brother didn't come to ISRU to do work for the sake of Allah ta'ala. He came to get "married." Also, in this capacity, the committees serve a very important function because that's where the real interaction goes on between men and women, and where our brother can finally meet Her.

One of the benefits of the sisters' craving for leadership is that they get to give speeches on activities that they will be conducting as committee "co-heads." Of course, fulfillment of this craving is in contradiction to the sunna of Rasoolullah (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam) as well as the fitrah of humans, but, for Muslim bachelors, this is a very easy way to skip Part 1. Perhaps an explanation is in order.

A sister would only be appointed to a position of leadership if she were well-respected among the people. This is perfect, because not only does The Bachelor have the guarantee that she is well-respected, but he can size her up. Of course, if she refuses to get up in front of the meeting or she opts to stay behind the partition and speak, then The Bachelor is screwed, but, qaddarallah.

Once our brother has found Her, he still needs to actually talk to Her. Sure, he could continue to ogle Her for the whole year, but this is unrealistic. What if some other perverted brother snatches Her up (since staring at a married woman is apparently much worse than staring at a single woman - possibly because brothers are more thrilled by the former than the latter)? What if She snatches someone else up? What if She catches him staring at Her, ruining any chance he has with Her? What if the shayaateen stop whispering into his ear and he loses steam, passing up on the most beautiful sister in the world in a pair of hot-pants and a pseudo-hijab because his damned eman kept whispering to him?

Unfortunately, due to the nature of the committees, he might lose his attachment to Her, but find someone else in the process. All the committees have different levels of interaction between the genders, which might make it difficult for him to talk to Her. We hope that the brothers reading this are ready for that.

Plan "B"

Plan "B" is just in case The Bachelor hasn't actually found the sister to pursue/stalk at the ISRU meeting. If he hasn't found Her, he can still hunt someone down. This of course requires work. He has to go to all of the committee meetings, no questions asked. If he has a class, he has to skip it - he has more important tasks to carry out.

The Bachelor, once he actually has found someone, can turn his attention to Maxim, FHM, Naseeb.com, or any of the other millions of people just ready and willing to give more advice on how to actually get married (if any of the sources listed say "how to get laid," just replace "laid" with "married").

And the winner is...

The fake-gold mine (real gold is haraam to wear) is the Da'wah table. It's ideal. You're alone with a member of the opposite gender, and it's too awkward to not talk to each other. The inevitable thing to do, then, is to talk. Of course, since it is absolutely necessary to eliminate the awkwardness, it can be about anything.

However, if two brothers and two sisters are seated there, then The Bachelor is once again screwed, but qaddarallah.

Passing Visitor said

Salaam,

Funny I always see you at the dawah tables and the other committee events. Don't confuse your motives for that of everyone else's. These articles you write always annoy me. But nothing annoys me more than instead of speaking for yourself you seem to speak for all brothers. Your obsession with this topic reflects alot about you as an individual. Get married and give us all some peace!

Salaam

on September 8, 2004 3:12 PM

May Allah guide us all to the correct path.

Brother Passing, if you have issues with what Hassan has to say then speak to him. Insulting your brother while hiding behind the internet serves no constructive purpose and only builds animosity between people.

Wasalam

on September 8, 2004 3:42 PM

I personally believe that what ISRU needs in place of a Welcoming Picnic is a Welcoming Matrimonial Picnic where all members are matched up based on a questionnaire sheet and married off. Of course there is the chance that there might be more sisters than brothers or vice-versa. If more sisters than brothers then there is always the option of polygamy. If more brothers than sisters then the remaining brothers can either compete for the sisters at the picnic, or wait until the spring for female transfer students, or wait for sisters to get divorced. But either way, ISRU will be 90% fitna-free for the rest of the academic year.

on September 8, 2004 7:33 PM
Tanweer said

Bismillah,
As-salamu 'Alaikum,
I agree with Passing Visitor! enough is enough.
Hasan, Mashallah you'r far more talented and knowledgable and i'm sure you can benefit us with some other useful articles/poems as you have done in the past.
wassalam
Tanweer

on September 8, 2004 10:16 PM
Gillette said

To Passing Visitor and others,

"Funny I always see you at the dawah tables and the other committee events."

Who are you?

I already spoke to the da'wah committee about the table problem by suggesting the two and two setup. As for the committee meetings, i suggested a solution for that as well. the former was implemented, while the latter was not.

"Don't confuse your motives for that of everyone else's. These articles you write always annoy me. But nothing annoys me more than instead of speaking for yourself you seem to speak for all brothers."

Anyone who is "confident" that their intentions are sincere is lying, because they are claiming perfection. Sufyan Ath-Thawri (and you can ask a scholar whom you trust about who he is) said "I have not treated anything more difficult than my intention, because it keeps changing." (Ibn Rajab al-Hanbali in Jaami ul-Uloom wa al-Hikam, in his commentary on the hadith of intent).

To briefly explain, Sufyan ath-Thawri was among the pious predecessors, and had more right than us to lay claim to sincere intentions.

"Your obsession with this topic reflects alot about you as an individual."

I only write about these things because writing about Muhammad bin Abdul-Wahhab wouldn't fly too well with Muslims:

and a Muslim response:

"Get married and give us all some peace!"

Know anyone who's interested?

on September 8, 2004 10:19 PM
Gillette said

[because it needs to be said] I don't single people out for assaults on their akhlaaq. i expect the same from others.

on September 8, 2004 10:32 PM

"I only write about these things because writing about Muhammad bin Abdul-Wahhab wouldn't fly too well with Muslims"

Since when does it matter on Hidaya (or Fire) what flies well and doesnt fly well with other Muslims. If controversial issues dont get discussed amongst Muslims then the unfortunate result is that they compound and get discussed in front of kaafirs...which makes us look like disunited jackasses who cant handle their own bidniz.

Discussion of these issues is necessary during this time of fitna, finger-pointing, and demonizing. That is why we were taught adab and akhlaq (not that I claim to have any)--so that we could interact within human decency and not isolate ourselves and our opinions.

I personally would LIKE to see articles on Muhammad bin Abdul-Wahhab (RA), Shaykh Ibn Taymiyyah (RA), Sheikh Albani (RA), Imam Ghazali (RA), Shaikh Abdul Qadir al Jilani (RA), Mawlana Rumi (RA), etc., on this site. Why NOT talk about people who other muslims find interesting (albeit controversial)? As long as mud-slinging is avoided, why not discuss?

We dont like to talk about these things out of fear of spreading more fitna. But look around you. You have groups of 'salafis' and you have groups of 'traditionalists'. They each have their favorite teachers/scholars/speakers and they each prefer to learn from their own because the other is considered 'misguided'. The fitna is already around us...its growing and not talking about it and each party's concerns wont make it disappear.

on September 8, 2004 11:26 PM
BrotherInPassingReturns said

Salaam,

To Faisal, you seem to think I am insulting Hasan with my response. But yet you don't feel insulted with the comments he makes about ALL brothers. In his own words

"Once our brother has found Her, he still needs to actually talk to Her. Sure, he could continue to ogle Her for the whole year, but this is unrealistic. What if some other horny brother snatches Her up ... "

and onwards to the rest of his article.

And to Hasan, none of us are claiming to perfect, we all have whispers, BUT don't take it to the level that these whispers serve as our primary motive for being active in ISRU and the committees. The only thing you accomplish with these insulting comments is to discourage people from being active in ISRU. You very well know that we have incoming students entering ISRU, is this what they should read to motivate them to be active in ISRU? Is this what we should greet them with? And as a result when few brothers show up at the "dawah" tables, you will be the first person complaining about the lack of involvement of brothers in ISRU.

Salaam

on September 9, 2004 4:45 AM

"To Faisal, you seem to think I am insulting Hasan with my response. But yet you don't feel insulted with the comments he makes about ALL brothers."

I am not insulted by his comments because he is making a general statement. Since it doesn't apply to me specifically, I don't care. Even if I am part of the whole "Brothers" group which Hassan chooses to address here, he is only criticizing those brothers who have ulterior motives in their actions. If I am among those with ulterior motives, I should look at myself and correct myself and if I am not, who cares what he writes?

But I agree with you on one thing brother passing. Allah as my witness, I have disagreed with Hassan method of writing in the past. Due to the bluntness of his posts, the real message sometimes gets lost.

This is to Hassan, I put in another vote for you to tone down your posts since I am afraid that they are doing more harm than good as brother passing has genuinely gotten offended by your comments.

However, this still doesn't excuse the two of you fighting each other. If we agree, we agree for the sake of Allah and if we disagree, we disagree for the sake of Allah. The fiasco in my previous post has taught me a lesson in being overbearing in language since one of my very good friends was disappointed in me. No matter how much you disagree with each other, this kind of back and forth insults serve no constructive purpose whatsoever. This is a venue through which shaitan is creating discord between two brothers. Whatever was said in the past is in the past, please forgive each other.

Wasalam

on September 9, 2004 11:01 AM
BrotherInPassingReturns said

Salaam,

To Faisal I am not insulting Hasan and neither is he insulting me. I just disagree with his constant barrage of fictous motives driving brothers to be active in ISRU. And if you think Hasan is making a general statement perhaps you should listen to him personally as I have. He is not talking about a few individuals in the group he is talking about ALL the individuals in the group. I have heard him say this many times.

Salaam

on September 9, 2004 2:09 PM
HidingBehindInternet said

Salam to all those "passing" and those standing still,

I think Hassan's post was supposed to be humorous (although in a perverted, sick, and cynical type of way). If this was the case - maybe it was funny - I'll have to give it some more thought.

If it was serious though - I think it can be attributed to the fact that in college gender relations is what everyone is obsessed with and Hassan's writing is just a reflection of that.

But Hassan - you are a little too cynical. Thats not following the sunnah (whether traditionalist or salafi).

on September 9, 2004 5:28 PM

"And if you think Hasan is making a general statement perhaps you should listen to him personally as I have. He is not talking about a few individuals in the group he is talking about ALL the individuals in the group. I have heard him say this many times."

How about we hear from Hassan on that one. What do you say Hassan, do you think each and every brother at ISRU is like that? If you do, then I am done defending you on this matter but if you don't, atleast clarify your position on this.

Wasalam

on September 10, 2004 7:19 AM

So much drama on this thread

on September 10, 2004 7:48 AM
Saleem Safdar said

Salam,

I read Hassan's article in the Targum on Muhammad Ibn Abdul-Wahhab - and I think it was good for you to speak up for the truth about his statements. However - I don't understand where the wisdom is in shifting the blame from Muhammad Ibn Abdul Wahhab to Hassan Al-Banna, the founder of Islamic Brotherhood. They were a non-violent, and until later non-political group. I think if you are trying to defend one group - your cause is lost when you falsely implicate another.

on September 10, 2004 2:39 PM
sasjamal said

Well it works.

on September 11, 2004 12:54 AM

I agree with you Justoju.. too much drama.

this is how stereotyping starts...

I remember back in the day.. there was a group of "muslims" whose main goal was to undermine the efforts of ISRU.... so much so that an article of their's showed up in the TARGUM...they're gone now... sorry just reminded me of it.

on September 13, 2004 11:41 AM

Would you be referring to the group that claimed ISRU was plotting to blow up Mt. Rushmore? :)

on September 13, 2004 11:21 PM
Sami Elmansoury said

Assalam Alaykum,

I have done my best to avoid commenting on many of the things that I have seen on this site. Regarding the "insulting" issue, please maintain some form of adab when addressing each other. I speak for myself first and foremost.

As far as other comments are concerned, use caution when discussing ISRU as an organization, be it in the Targum or on Hidaya. It is true that we are all part of ISRU, but ISRU is also very diverse, and your comments may not reflect the beliefs of others. Joking about ISRU and terrorist plots is also absolutely unnecessary. Alhamdulilah we rely on Allah (SWT), but we should also not be stupid. If there is ever a question as to what may or may not be appropriate as far as public comments mentioning ISRU as an organization are concerned, I really ask that you confront the Shura first. Just a simple request that I believe to be just and in the best interest of the larger community.

Jazakum Allahu Khayr Wassalam Alaykum.

on September 14, 2004 6:14 PM
Mostafa ibn Mohamed Khalifa said

Asalaamu `alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakaatuhu,

I pray Allah blesses all with Hidaya, and I love you all for His sake.

Alhamdu lillah, Hidaya is back, and the regulars are at it again :)

For the sake of clarification, Sr. Justoju was not joking. May Allah forgive them and guide them, there were a couple of Muslims who did in fact post such claims in the Targum. It was before you came to Rutgers by a few years, Br. Sami, so it's understandable why you may have thought the sister was making unnecessary jokes. I was actually the Amir of ISRU at the time. We took advice from each other and people of knowledge, and as Sr. Saima said above, the group went away, alhamdu lillah

I wish you all were in the current AlMaghrib class "The Code Evolved: Evolution of Fiqh" with Shaykh yaser Birjas. We are learning the proper adab of disagreement and discussion on Islamic issues. Alhamdu lillah, a good number of brothers and sisters from our area (not to mention all over the US -- California, Georgia, Arkansas, Illinois, Ohio, Maryland, Massachussetts, NJ, NY, etc. -- are taking the class.

We have seen some examples of knowledge without the Sunnah-fied adab, and people talking without knowledge. May Allah guide us to be among those with knowledge AND adab. Ameen.

Alhamdu lillah for you all. I love you all for His sake :) Keep me in your duaa' inshaa' Allah

on September 14, 2004 10:13 PM

JazakumAllahu khair ya amirul durbah for the clarification.

I agree with you br. Sami about how it is very important that we not joke (or even discuss) these kinds of baseless accusations on Hidaya--and absolutely insane and treacherous to do so on Targum. I suppose I felt that the issue was such common knowledge amongst ISRU members that it was 'ok' to mention it. I remember being in highschool at that time (not even IN Rutgers) and hearing about it from ISRU and Rutgers-Newark friends. Absolutely ludicrous stuff. Anyway, given the current climate, I shall be more careful in the future inshaAllah and I thank you for the reminder. May Allah, Glorious and Exalted, reward you.

WasalaamuAlaikum

on September 15, 2004 12:57 AM

Asalaam Aleikum Warahmatullah Wabarkatu,

Sami, you said:
"I have done my best to avoid commenting on many of the things that I have seen on this site."

You should not. Personally, I believe it would be better if more constructive criticism could be given so that I we can all further understand our faults and be able to, insha Allah, repair them. Writers and commentors alike.

Also, discussion helps to create understanding. And just like a marriage, the brotherhood needs good communication and dialogue to work out our difficulties. We all understand that we have differences in thought and the only way to diffuse the problem is by really talking about it even if it is a hard thing to talk about. May Allah, insha Allah helps us to keep our intentions in writing and commenting to create unity between ourselves and to strengthen ourselves as Muslims.

So feel free to comment as you like insha Allah.

Wasalaam Warahmatullah Wabarakatu

on September 15, 2004 7:32 PM
Ibtisam and also Abdullaah Somebody said

Assalaamu Alaikum my dear sisters and brothers in Islaam.
How is everyone doing? I read the article and I also read teh first few comments.I just wanna say, I also agree(albeit not in the same manner) that discussion of this topic is gone too far. Hidaya should talk about hidaya, I mean I guess you guys have tried to approach the topic in different dimensions and when I gave my opinion, everybody went on an alarm etc. wallaahu alim, I think if I did continue to write as Abdullaah mysterious, people would have taken my opinions/advice more seriously, wallaahu alim.
Da'wah table issues or committee issues can be avoided, if it is causing fitnah, what I dont understand is where are the parents of these so called ISRU muslim brohters and sisters, these people are literally "single" dont have extended families or parents to answer to. I mean the loss of traditional values have gone from our society. Why do people have to go hunting for spouses. If you kids grow up(get married)and have children, would you want your children to do the same. Perhaps the high divorce rate taht Br.Talal keeps referring to and emphasizing has to do with loss of these very values of our Muslim society.
You cannot judge people's intention but you have to take face value and you have assume.
At MSA xxx, we had a da'wah table and committee and brothers were assigned to sit a different day from the sisters. Our group was headed by a sister who had her meetings behind a divider most of the time in the masjid, occasionally not. There were more brothers on the committee than sisters but alhamdulillaah, no one's sincerity was questioned or even referred.
To sister Justojo, and Br.Gillette
our MSA use to discuss controversial topics like Sheikh Muhammad Ibn Abdul Wahaab, Sheikh Al-Baani
we had more topics of Salafees vs Sufis
then gender relations and marriage. I mean for us to talk about the issues you guys do was like taboo and disrespectful. We had a couple of people paired off and married within our MSA but still no body talked of such issues and so openly.
We were mostly bickering over who is right and what fiqh opinion is right, so much so astaghfirullaah, that they would bring a brother to give a khutbah on how we should be united and not say so and so is a sufee or so and so is a salafee. The head of our committee was a salafee but everyone worked with her, sufees, salafees, tablighis, etc.
okay, I am off
so my advice is, dont go into the boundaries that might lead to haraam. Dont hurt yourself(emotinally) by trying to find a spouse. Leave to parents and if not then to Allaah. When you are standing on your own two feet and ready to support a family, you may go and propose to the father of a girl if you have heard nice things about her etc. but stop about this topic
and if you need to find a sister, I have many friends that can get married. Just as the earth is spacious and you can go and worship anywhere, the amount of single women is numerous.
Wasalaamu ALaykum,
oh yeah, if anyone wants someone to write on controversial topics such as salafeeism, I'll write, I am experienced :)

on September 19, 2004 9:16 AM
Jawad said

The fake-gold mine (real gold is haraam to wear) is the Da'wah Committee. The great benefit of the Da'wah Committee isn't in the committee itself, but in the da'wah table. It's ideal. You're alone with a member of the opposite gender, and it's too awkward to not talk to each other. The inevitable thing to do, then, is to talk. Of course, since it is absolutely necessary to eliminate the awkwardness, it can be about anything.

Ouch. Enough Said.

PS. Western culture has really screwed the Muslim over huh. They dont mind marrying at a later age because they have zinah in the meanwhile. But for the Muslim who doesnt have it together according to the Western timetable ie. career stability....its a longgggg frustrating wait huh. well theres hidaya for venting at least. This is Jawad from the dawah committee by the way. And Hassan your article was an "ouch" but I'm gonna forgive it. May Allah bless you. Ameen.

on September 21, 2004 5:19 AM
Jawad said

Assalaamualaikum,

Lets not have any hard feelings toward the writer. Instead let's prove this article wrong. InshAllah. Lets make the dawah of ISRU effective inshAllah.

So what's the first step?

Alhumdulilah

Alhumdulilah I've heard about a great event upcoming! Alhumdulilah!

I've heard that Durbah (NJ's AlMaghrib Tribe led by ISRU's infamous Mostafa Khalifa) is holding an event soon inshAllah. I believe Oct 2nd.

So what is it? Sheikh El-Mekki from further south is coming up to NJ to hold a dawah workshop.

Do you wanna hear his famous story?

There was this MSA with a stagnant dawah table. Only about 1 Shadah in so many semesters. What happened after his dawah workshop you ask? 19 Shahadas mashAllah. While this is not a statistics game, the numbers are impressive. SubhanAllah.

So how blessed are we. Alhumdulilah!

Thats our chance to prove this article wrong inshAllah. Let's make this year's dawah table a blessing for the whole university. Whoever thinks dawah committee has problems, be the solution or else you are the real problem! I'll be expecting all of us there Oct. 2nd inshAllah.

Jawad -- Dawah Committee

on September 21, 2004 6:01 AM
Amr ibn Muhammed Gharib said

"Whoever thinks dawah committee has problems, be the solution or else you are the real problem."

masha Allaah excellently put...I ask Allaah (SWT) to grant us wisdom and tawfeeq in dealing w/these issues as brother Jawad just did.

Ameen

PS Major props to the dawah committee, I think that just pushed me to closer to squeezing my schedule to come to the tables.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AKH ;)

on September 21, 2004 10:33 AM

ma sha Allah Jawad...

You really salvaged this entire thread of conversation.

I word up da major props to de brill Da'wah Committee.

on September 21, 2004 4:55 PM

"Instead let's prove this article wrong."

good idea. the point of "these types" of articles is to stimulate thought. whether or not it worked, allahu 'alam. but the above response was the one i wanted to provoke.

it's not that i think that all brothers are like this, but we're not encouraged to find out the hard way. i think i mentioned this before, but the problems i mentioned have practical solutions.

i intended to change the direction of my writing a while ago, but i just had to get this one out of my system. i'll be posting tomorrow. look out for my column here every other wednesday and in the targum (www.dailytargum.com) on every thursday (this week, hidaya, next week, targum, etc.)

on September 21, 2004 7:45 PM

Case and Point:

First dawah table I sat at was with another brother who I never saw before (I was new to the ISRU thing).

He was very modest and adhered to proper etiquette. I was deeply impressed and that impression was set about ALL ISRU brothers.

I just realized this year that it was Br. Hassan (aka gillette). Go figure.

One person can make a difference.

Alhamdolilah.

on September 21, 2004 11:29 PM

Asalaam Aleikum Warahmatullah Wabaraktu,

Practice what you preach...masha Allah brother.

Wasalaam Warahmatullah Wabaraktu

on September 21, 2004 11:41 PM

Can we get a round of applause of a 'takbir!' or something going?

on September 22, 2004 2:15 AM
Malik said

jihad is to terrorism as marriage is to adultery
(Shaikh Humza Yusuf)

that was beautiful :***) tears of joy

Humza Yusuf for president!

on September 22, 2004 2:53 AM

That WAS beautiful. But I think the quote is
"Terrorism is to Jihad what Adultery is to Marriage"

Man, even muslim analogies have some mention of marriage...

on September 22, 2004 2:57 AM

"Can we get a round of applause of a 'takbir!' or something going?"

We don't do applause.

on September 22, 2004 3:00 AM

You are correct. My clumsy greasy fingers meant to type "Can we get a round of applause OR a 'takbir!' or something going?"

The option for applause was for the non muslims.
The option for takbir was for the muslims.

I would have initiated the 'takbir!' but I recall the issue of women calling takbirs being raised before Ustaadh Muhammad alShareef many months ago and he said that it would be more modest for a man to call it. I dont claim to be modest, but I refrain from what I easily can. So can someone be a man and call a takbir already?

on September 22, 2004 3:32 AM

"Man, even muslim analogies have some mention of marriage..."

Yeah, isn't it great!?

Takbir, AllahuAkbar
Takbir, AllahuAkbar
Takbir, AllahuAkbar

on September 22, 2004 10:35 AM

LOL! Takbeer is bida'ah
Man I love this coming out as a salafee thing,finally!

on September 23, 2004 1:11 AM

i'm done talking about women, love, sex, and marriage.

on September 23, 2004 8:09 AM

Assalam-o-alaikom.

"Takbeer is bida'ah"

Really? Prove to me the truth sister and if you are right, that was the last takbir I ever raised.

However, we need to be really careful when making such statements. This is to anyone declaring an action bidah. Please show your proof or refrain from making such statements.

Wasalam

on September 23, 2004 10:19 AM

I meant it as a joke and I heard it is bida'ah but I have not personally done any research on it. I dont have an opinion on the matter,I was just playin with everybody by saying it is bida'ah. I personally do not say takbeer myself cause I dunno if it is allowed or not, etc.
And umm, why are women always categorized with the other subjects. You can talk about women and women issues without talking about other things but maybe this is a job for many of the sisters on hidaya to do.
Wa slam dunk(okay so this was a bid'ah too LOOL!)

on September 23, 2004 9:07 PM