« Interview With Kareem | Main | Marriage or Baggage? »
June 15, 2004
Da'wah

by Gillette aka Hassan[uddin] Khaja

Muhsin walked away from the ATM and to his car as he shoved his cash in his wallet. As he opened the door to his car, he felt the muzzle of a gun against the back of his head.

"Give me your money," Richard said as he pressed the gun harder against Muhsin's head.
"We love death like you love life."
"What?"
"We love death like you love life," Muhsin repeated.
"If you don't give me your money, I'm..."

Muhsin swiped the gun away from him. A bullet broke the window of Muhsin's car. Muhsin smacked Richard in the side of his head with the butt of the gun. Richard lay on his chest. Muhsin returned Richard's favor.

"No, no, no, please, please don't shoot!" Richard pleaded.
"Who is your lord?" Muhsin asked.
"What?"
"I said, who is your lord?"
"Jesus Christ?"
"Are you sure about that? This might be your last conversation..." He pressed the gun harder against his head as he heard Richard plead for his life, "...so there's no point in lying to me or yourself."
Richard hesitated, then answered, "Yes, Jesus Christ is my lord."
"So you believe that Jesus Christ is your lord, even when you think he died the same way you're about to die?" Muhsin returned the gun to Richard's head.
"No, no, no, please! I got a family! I got kids, please don't shoot!" Richard cried more.
"Quit crying and answer the question! You were brave enough to rob me, but you're not brave enough to die? Now, can someone who died, like you're about to, be your lord?"
"No."
"Don't you dare to lie to me to save yourself!" Muhsin fired in the air. "I'll kill you for lying! Tell me the truth!" He pressed the gun to Richard's head.
"No, no, no! A human can't be my lord, a human can't be my lord, a human can't be my lord! Lord Jesus...!"
"What?"
"No, no, no, I mean...uh...he's not my lord, he's not my lord!"

Richard's breathing became heavier. Muhsin searched Richard and pulled out a wallet. He opened it to see a picture of a kid.

"So this is why you wanted to rob me? Why wouldn't you serve the one who created your kid?" All Muhsin heard was Richard's heavy breathing. Muhsin kicked him. "Answer me!"
"I don't know."

Muhsin put the gun back in its place. "So you were going to die tonight without knowing?"

Richard cried more. "Yeah, yeah, yeah, I was! But now I know! Don't kill me!"

Muhsin took the gun. "Stay down until I tell you." He kept the gun pointing at Richard as he walked to the front door of his car.

He drove off. As Richard was about to get up, Muhsin came back and threw the money in his wallet to Richard.

Masha'Allah... will this have a sequal ? :)

on June 16, 2004 12:55 AM
Justoju (On a related note :) ) said

Now if only we could all start carrying fire arms and threatening to kill people we could actually start making some more progress on this whole dawah thing. Pssssshhhhhh pamphlets and info. tables are for the weak.

...and I thought I was hard on that 15 yr old...

on June 16, 2004 1:29 AM

That's it Hassan, you're writnig an action scene for the long neglected ISRU flick :)

on June 16, 2004 7:29 AM

Hmm. That qualifies as acceptance under duress.

Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects Taghut (evil) and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trust worthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things. " (Qur'an 2:256

I think this guy definitely was compelled. The point of this post is lost on me.

on June 16, 2004 1:43 PM
Alex Lahoz said

as-salam 'alaikum Br. Faisal,
He actually wasn't compelled to do anything. Rather, what occured is that Richard, finding himself in a situation of great peril, is being encouraged (albeit quite harshly) to re-examine his raison d'etre. So, as Muhsin demanded nothing from Richard but self-reflection, the verse quoted is, in my estimation, inapplicable.
As to point of the post, it is an allegory, I think, employed to remind us that harrowing moments often serve as the catalyst for life renewing changes in one's weltanschauung.
Wallahu 'Alam
Wasalam'alaikum
-Alex

on June 26, 2004 3:18 AM

Weltanschauung? I am gonna have to ask Zainab what the heck that means.

on June 26, 2004 3:39 AM

As-salam 'alaikum

"No."
"What?"
"No, no, no, I mean...uh...he's not my lord, he's not my lord!"

I know I am being redundant by reposting from the
article but I doubt that when he said that a human couldn't be his lord, he made that statement by deep refletion and conviction of the heart. Do you really think Richard would have said that if he had the baretta? When you are staring down the barrel of a loaded gun, the gun does the deep reflection for you.

Muhsin indeed demanded reflection but it was under duress. If Richard had indeed declared at that piont "There is none worthy of worship but Allah", his testimony would have been suspect.

If what Muhsin did is acceptable or even defendable, then should we go out in the street toting UZIs and encouraging self-reflection (albeit quite harshly)? The ends do not justify the means. Islam demands self reflection but never under the sword. Let's go back to the way of our Prophet (peace and blessings be upon
him). Would our Propeht have done what Muhsin did? Would he have condoned Muhsin's actions? The whole drama makes for a great story but it does not reflect the essence of dawah and self-reflection.

If the ends are just, so must the means of achieving them be.

Wallahu 'Alam

on June 26, 2004 3:12 PM
Alex Lahoz said

Faisal Akhtar said:
"If Richard had indeed declared at that piont "There is none worthy of worship but Allah", his testimony would have been suspect."
Agreed. And further, if my interpretation of the author's intent is wide of the mark, that is to say, this "scene" IS meant to promote dawah at gunpoint, then I stand corrected.

on June 27, 2004 3:20 AM

"Yet, the true nature of the author's purpose notwithstanding, I think it instrcutive to point out that Muhisn does not go out seeking potential converts at the end of a gun-barrel. Instead, he is simply reacting to Richard's serious transgression with compassion and forgiveness and he is doing so in the vernacular that Richard seems most well-versed in."

We need more readers like this.

(I occasionally look through my columns every now and then. I'd encourage other writers to do it, and try to see where they might have gone wrong.)

on February 13, 2006 5:32 PM