« The Days & Nights of Ramadan | Main | Iman and Understanding - Part III »
October 26, 2004
raison d'etre

by Faisal Akhtar

Disclaimer

This poem I posted was not true. I did not have a conversation with Allah SWT and it was wrong of me to have posted such lies. Poetic lisence when it comes to matter of belief cannot be used since that becomes very dangerous. This is my invitation to all Hidaya writers to edit previous entries. What happened happened in the past but now we need to recognize our mistake and change. Props to Brother Abu Hameedullah for bringing this to my attention.

Nadia said

Wow, Mashallah. Good job done! Br.Faisal. Keep it up.

on October 26, 2004 5:45 PM
Nadia said

By the way, what does "raison d'Ítre" mean? I can tell it's a French word but don't know what does it mean exactly?
Jazakallah khair
-Nadia

on October 26, 2004 5:46 PM

"raison d'Ítre" = "reason to be"

MashaAllah, excellent poem Br. Faisal. I love the emphasis on ikhlas. Another successfully thought-provoking piece mashaAllah.

on October 26, 2004 6:52 PM

JazkAllah Khair Sisters.

May Allah bless you for your encouragment of a novice poet.

on October 26, 2004 8:37 PM
Abu Hameedullah said

Where is this poem narrated from? Is the conversation that took place here authentic?

on October 27, 2004 10:16 AM

JazKallah Khair Brother Abu Hameedullah, I never thought about it like that.

You are absolutely right, that poem was a lie. I didn't speak to Allah SWT and I did the exact opposite of what I advised Sister Justoju to do.

I ask forgiveness from you and especially Sister Justoju and most of all, from Allah SWT.

Keep me in your prayers.

Walaikomassalam

on October 27, 2004 11:46 AM

AssalamuAlaikum,

Am I the only person here who didnt find anything offensive or islamically incorrect about Br. Faisal's poem? I mean lemme know. I dont think that Br. Faisal expected or desired anyone to believe that he had really spoken to Allah SubhanuWaTa'Ala; that much was obvious to all. And I dont think that anyone (unless I am mistaken and the readers are naive mindless 10 yr. olds under hypnosis) really believed that he had. Can someone please let me know where the sin lies and what the problem is? No one here is saying anything about Br. Faisal's decision and I am just wondering if I am the only one who doesnt see anything wrong with his poem?

It would be nice if the poem could be reviewed by a scholar...

WasalaamuAlaikum

on October 28, 2004 4:20 PM

Also, I am wondering, what about the entire 'fiction' category? Is it unislamic to write fiction because it isnt true? I mean the vast majority of creative writing is fiction and on this site it is often used to reach an islamic end.
The story about Muhsin threatening to kill Richard isnt true. Brother Gillette's eman didnt really take his car. Sister Nadia's poem about the painter wasnt true; neither was the qital talal series or the sad story of Wisam and Fatima aka 'Batteekhah". Kunza and Shajeeah arent real. The convo the mother of the thankless child had with Allah SubhanahuWaTa'Ala isnt real. Brother Rami's Abdullah was never really being hunted down (btw, I am still waiting for the rest of that story). You never had that conversation with the Lord where you were asking Him why you didnt get everything that you asked for, and I sure hope you havent been going fatwa shopping while physically conversing with your shaitan or talking to the angel of death. I could go on and on. My point is that though these pieces were fiction, and therefore not true, they dont fall under the category of 'lies' and the writers were not sinning by writing them. It is understood that fiction is fiction and that there is a beneficial 'point' behind the words. In fact, these untrue pieces were extremely beneficial and are some of the best pieces that Hidaya has published mashaAllah.

p.s. I hope I am not being a shaitan (thanks br. ronald) by asking all these questions. Dont want to cause fitna. If I am being a shaitan then please lemme know so that I can shut up and go chain myself for the remainder of Ramadan.

on October 29, 2004 1:03 AM

I'm not sure what shaitaan Br. Ronald spoke about, but inshaAllah you're asking relevant questions that need answers.

Your point on fiction is valid, though there is also the valid concern of even fiction in which discourse with Allah(subhanahu wa ta'ala) plays a part. Is it right to make use of such a metaphor to "make a point"?

on October 29, 2004 1:09 AM

Assalam-o-alaikom

My only problem is when writers take poetic lisence on aqeedah to "make a point". The rest of the stories were fiction. As Hassan pointed out in my fatwa shopping piece, my talking to angels can be problematic since that is also part of belief. Also, my conversation piece was not intended to be a conversation with the Almighty. In the whole piece I didn't say who it was I was speaking to.

Fiction can perhaps be beneficial and the Qital Talal series, The Abdullah story etc were all fiction but they never delved into matters of Aqeedah. Talking to Angels, talking to Allah SWT, selling palaces in Jannah, these are matters of aqeedah and with aqeedah we have to be REALLLY careful. I am not a scholar and the truth is, I personally don't know any scholar. If someone can ask a scholar and let me know if this kind of fiction is permissible (fiction that dares to delve in aqeedah) then I will be more than happy to repost that poem.

Wasalam

on October 29, 2004 9:20 AM

i'm itching to read the poem.

on October 29, 2004 9:23 PM