« Marriage Considerations I: The Preliminaries | Main | To Be or not to Be: What is MY Career? »
November 27, 2004
1 message received…

by Bint Abdul Khaliq

It is one of the biggest vibrations in the world today. It’s a tool with a difference. It has revolutionized communication throughout the globe. It is none other than…

The cellullar phone.

A breakthrough in technology indeed! What started of as a gadget used only for telephone calls has now evolved into something remarkable. SMS, MMS, intergrated cameras, colour screens, Internet access…it has become more than just a mobile phone.

Most certainly it is a blessing from ALLAH TA’ALA.It has many benefits and can make life a whole lot more easier. BUT…It has also opened up the pathways for so much more fitna.Unfortunately this device is being abused, especially by our youth.

The cell phone has become an object of pride.It is not unusual to spot cell phone wielding teenyboppers bouncing around in shopping centers and other public places with the trendiest cell phones being shown off. The cell phone generation I call them. The huge marketing campaigns have paid off and if you are anybody-you have to have a cell phone.

Unauthorized, cheap and fast-the cell phone poses many temptations to our jaded and adventure-seeking youth. It is so easy to ‘get connected’. Members of the opposite gender exchange numbers, phone and SMS each with no hint of guilt. Rude and crude SMS’s and pictures are circulated to further pollute our childrens’ minds. Extravagant amounts of money are wasted on Airtime so that we can have ‘fun’ while there are people in this world who don’t know where their next meal is coming from. Where is the Taqwa?

Ever been to a Musjid performing Salaah when suddenly the beautiful words of The QUR’AAN are interrupted by the shrill sound of music? Yes-MUSIC …in the form of the Haraam musical ringtones that has so captivated the minds of so many of us Muslims. It follows us wherever we are.While praying for our dead at funeral homes, while engaged In the second Pillar of Islaam- Our Salaah,while our ‘Ulama are busy advising us at bayaans …

How can stoop to such a level? Don’t we realize that we are making the shaitaan happy!What would our beloved Nabi (SAWS) have said? ASTAGHFIRULLAH! Not even the Haramain Shareefain are spared from this vice. Metres away from the KA’BATULLAH and the grave of our RASULULLAH(SAWS) these tunes can be heard! While making Tawaaf around the House of ALLAH-an act that demands our full attention and concentration just as in Salaah-people are merrily chatting on their cell phones.Are we making a mock of ALLAH’s deen? NA’OOZUBILLAH. May ALLAH have mercy on us.

We as Muslims need to wake up.We need to stop following the west in whatever it does. We should not feel superior or inferior because of the model of the cell phone we possess or do not possess. We need to realize our Islamic responsibility and submit to ALLAH’S rules and prohibitions wholeheartedly. We need to stop feeding our youth with poison and expecting no harm to come to them. When we realize how we, as Muslims, should behave and use this tool in a conscientious way that will benefit us –that is only when we should take on this Amaanat INSHALLAH. May ALLAH give us the ability to distinguish between right and wrong, protect us from harming our Deen and protect us from the traps of shaitaan.
Ameen.

Cell phone is merely a personel communicating/information device....and its usage and capability will only increase in the coming months/years for most of us. However, its not about following west or east, but rather (as you so eloquently suggested) to be selective in our use of this handy little device. That the deal breaker...if you ask me.

on November 28, 2004 1:14 AM

I dropped my cell phone in late august and the screen hasnt displayed anything since. I like to think I am a zahidah for not getting a new phone. But I think the real reason is laziness and not zuhd.

on November 28, 2004 4:01 AM
Farasha said

I have a cellphone and I am really depend on it. It is useful if I need something from home or I got lost or the car broke down in the middle of nowhere or I can't go home on time because I caught in a traffic jam, etc. I agree that we shouldn't follow the west and keep our identity as Muslims. I turn-off my cellphone everytime that I feel it is not appropriate. In the masjid for example, or while attending lectures and majlis, etc. And I use simple tone only. But, the truth is without my cellphone I feel like my life would be harder in some area.

on November 28, 2004 9:19 AM

Was Salaam

Quite right Br.Asif.Jazakallah for that.

Sis Justoju i admire you 4 keeping it up so long-dont think i would have been able 2!

Sis Farasha I agree with you totally..I myself wonder how I got on without it-which I know is not good but it does come in handy so much.

The thing is that it's scary when I see how our muslim youth here are abusing cell phones.I know some children as young as 9 or 10 who own phones(kind of like toys) and parents dont realise the harm that this is causing their children. Its even more scary to see what our teenagers get up to.I can't judge anybody-im definately not perfect,but we have to acknowledge the problem before we can make things better and educate our Ummah InsHALLAH.

Was Salaam

on November 28, 2004 12:13 PM

gilette, the eternal optimist.

on November 28, 2004 5:57 PM

Thank you br. Gillette. Now I wont need to burn mine in a fit of zealous paranoia.

on November 28, 2004 6:02 PM
Jannah said

Hahaha if only cell phones could really count as third persons..

My ten year old sunday school student has a cell phone when I exclaimed that's not fair she said its cuz my mom trusts me...and get this its a world phone. Weird times we live in.

on November 28, 2004 6:33 PM

FOr those who have old cellphones (even if they happen to be the big ol' "bricks") that still work, you can send them in to this newly started DOmestic Violence shelter for Muslim women... apparently all cell phones (even those that are deactivated) are able to dial 911.

So send in your phones/chargers to:
ICPC / Al-Wafa House
152 Derrom Ave,
Paterson, NJ 07509, USA

info from one of the mashaAllah members of the Tribe of Durbah:

on November 28, 2004 6:42 PM

If anyone wants to know how a microwave works...by spraying microwave waves at the food it causes the water in the food to shake up thousands or millions of times per second causing the water molecules to heat up which in turn heats up the food. So using a cell phone is basically no different then putting your head in a low powered microwave oven...shaking your brain millions of times per second clashing with the inside of your skull. Then we wonder why people get leukemia and brain cancer.

btw, the smae thing goes with your alarm clock that you keep right next to your head, or any other electromagnetic device. But the dissipation and effect of the electromagnetic waves are EXPONENTIAL...meaning that if you keep it two times away from your head your actually 2^2 times (4 times)safer. Or if you keep it four times away 2^4 = 16 times safer. Just some advice for those of you who talk for hours on you phones.

I hope that frightened you all.

Waslaam Warahmatullah Wabarakatu

* Crohns disease
* Depression
* Diabetes
* Disorientation
* EEG changes
* Epilepsy
* Eye and ear discomfort and pain
* Facial rashes and swelling
* Fybromyalgia
* Genetic damage
* Gliomas
* Hair Loss
* Headaches
* Heart disease
* Kidney damage
* Leukemia and other blood cancers
* Lymphoma
* Melatonin reductions
* Memory Loss
* Meningiococcal infections (meningitis)
* Meningiomas
* Multiple Sclerosis
* Neuro-cognitive symptoms
* Nerve sheath tumors, including acoustic neuromas
* Numbness
* Oral cancer
* Pacemaker interference
* Pain
* Parkinson's disease
* Parotid gland tumors
* Premature aging
* Reaction time changes
* Sleep disorders
* Suicide
* Testosterone reductions
* Thyroid cancer
* Tinnitus

# Cellular phone increases the risk of brain cancer (brain tumor).

# Cellular phones can do biological damage through heating effects.

# Cellular phone causes symptoms: including headaches, earaches, blurring of vision, short-term memory loss, numbing, tingling, and burning sensations, bad sleep,fatigue, Anxiety.

# Single and double strand DNA breaks in brain cells increased after exposure to RF. Exposure to both continuous wave and pulsed RF (mobil phone) produced DNA damage. Double strand breaks, if not repaired, are known to lead to cell death.

# Research by other scientists indicates that prolonged use of mobile phones may cause hot-spots to develop inside the brain, causing damage which could lead to Alzheimer's disease or cancer (brain tumor).

Waaleikum Aslaam Warahmatullah Wabarakatu

on November 28, 2004 7:15 PM
anonymousbrother said

Brother Rami, I'm sure your intentions are to warn us, but I highly beg to differ with your information. For one thing, the website from which you've gotten your informaiton is rather unreliable; there are no verifiable names or research centers associated with it, and it could have very well been written by Joe Schmoe.
On the other hand, the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis has done some indepth studies on cell phones and cancer. THeir discovery? Virtually no link between the two.

Here's an article featuring the study:

And here's the organization's link:

Of course it is appalling that cell phones go off in the masjid (astaghfirullah I heard one go off once during jummah), but we needn't worry about cancer. Just wanted to give all the brothers and sisters the heads up.

on November 28, 2004 8:53 PM

JazakAllah Khair to both Rami & AnonymousBrother for putting out the info for the rest of us. I guess its no different then when TV was introduced to the average family and became part of normal life. There were all type of facts/psuedo facts that were flying around about its impact on all family members especially on children and such. So this is nothing new, we humans tend to be skeptic of newer technologies and/or features in our mundane lives. I wont be surprised, for instance, to see a slew of information floating about the dire medical consequences of implanting an identity chip in one's body in the near future.

on November 28, 2004 9:14 PM

Asalaam Aleikum Warahmatullah wabarakatu,

Brother anonymous, I actually did research on the effects of electromagnetic waves some 10 or 11 years ago as a term paper in the eight grade...waaay before the cell phone was popular or widely used.

The fact is that ALL electromagnetic devices emit electromagnetic waves...so the alarm clock is no different then cell phone which is no different then high tension power lines.

The cigarrete companies today STILL won;t admit that nicotine is addictive and that cigarettes cause cancer. They say the EXACT smae thing that the mobile phone companies do..."There is no scientific evident proving that it can cause cancer". That is only because you can't take correlation as a\evidence for causation. You would literally have to take an innocent human being and expose him to years of smoking or EMP's in a lab and then test him after twenty years to scientifically prove that smiking or cell phones cause cancer...even if millions of smokers die each year of lung cancer or kids living under power lines die of leukemia.

The thing that actually convinced me the most is that if you look in the back of your cell phone user's manual, or at the websites of the companies...they repeast over and over and over again that "DON'T BE WORRIED...THERE IS NO SCIENTIFIC EVIDENCE PROVING IT CAUSES CANCER". Like the way you can tell a person is the one who is lying because he is trying so hard to deny it.

So to make a long story short...save yourself years of chemotherapy and hospitalization for you and your children by wearing an earpiece for your cellphones, keeping the alarm clock a safe distance from your head, and not living near or under high tension power lines.

You cannot trust corporations with BILLIONS of dollars of combined lobbying money to tell you what is good or not for your health or the health of your children.

Wasalaam Warahmatullah Wabaraktu

on November 28, 2004 10:02 PM
anonymousbrother said

Brother Rami,

Of course all these devices emit electromagnetic waves, but the question is whether those waves are capable of causing cancer. Of course waves emitted from x-ray machines can certainly cause cancer. But, as the recearch at Harvard I menitoned earlier demonstrates, cell phone waves are literally too 'fat,' so to speak, to cause a break in the atomic structure and cause cancer...
Not all electromagnetic waves are alike. Those emitted by x-ray machines are obviously a big concern, but those emitted by your television, alarm clock, or cell phone aren't, as far as cancer is concerned (yes, there are dangers to TV, like becoming unbelievably stupid, but cancer isn't really among the dangers).

As far as nicotine is concerned, countless studies by INDEPENDENT organizations have clearly shown that nicotine is addictive and that smoking can lead to cancer. Of course the tobacco companies themselves won't admit this, but the fact of the matter is that legitimate scientific research centers with no ties to the tobacco industry have in fact proven the dangers of cigarette smoke.

As for the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis, it is in fact an independent research organization. It's clear that they're not working for the cell phone companies in any way. Case in point: one of their most recent studies documents a clear link between cell phone use while driving and automobile fatalities.
The lesson learned: brothers and sisters, stop using your cell phone when driving!
But neventheless, whatever concerns we should have about cell phones, cancer needn't be one of them.

on November 28, 2004 11:07 PM

Surat Al-Araf:

78. So the earthquake took them unawares, and they lay prostrate in their homes in the morning!

79. So Salih left them, saying: "O my people! I did indeed convey to you the message for which I was sent by my Lord: I gave you good counsel, but ye love not good counsellors!"

on November 29, 2004 12:16 AM

Disclaimer: I in no way claim to be sent from Allah subhanna wa taala as a meessenger, warner, the mehdi, or any other things which only exist in my head and have no other basis in the real world.

I could be wrong or right about this issue and ultimately for now only Allah can be certain of the truth.

But yet...is it not better to just buy a simple two dollar earpiece or limit the time you spend on the phone to less than a million hours a day(directed at the sisters and the GQ brothers) for the sake of your health, your brain and your wallet.

Waslaam Warahmatullah Wabarakatu

on November 29, 2004 1:16 AM

JazaKALLAH for all the info...healthy and informative debate is always good.

Whether or not cell phones cause cancer the health hazards are very many as my mum never fails to remind me.Our bodies are an Amaanat to us too so we should take note of this and make sure we use our cell phones in the safest way InsHALLAH.

I think I will invest in an alarm clock InshALLAH.

"look on the bright side: talking on a cell phone in public to the opposite gender is a lot less khulwah-ish than talking to them on a home phone.

also, with a cell phone, if you're alone with someone of the opposite gender in an elevator because you really don't feel like walking up the one flight of stairs it takes to get from the 1st to the 2nd floor, you can just call someone."

lol...sad state we are in.May ALLAH have mercy on this Ummah.Ameen

on November 29, 2004 2:10 PM

Diverting from the topic a bit:

www.radioislam.org.za

You can listen to a live radio station broadcast from Johannesburg,South Africa
on the net.