« The Man of Her Dreams… | Main | Hanging On A Glance - Part I »
December 22, 2004
The Devil's Deception, Part 2

by Gillette aka Hassan[uddin] Khaja

Ruqayyah sat at the table while Uqbah cooked food in the kitchen.

"Need any help in there?" Ruqayyah asked.
"Today's my day to cook," Uqbah responded. "Please do not bother the cook while he cooks."
"If I didn't bother you the last time it was your day, we would've had to acquaint ourselves with the fire department."

Uqbah came in with a tray of pasta and placed it on the table. He sat down and saw Ruqayyah staring at the tray.

"Well?" Uqbah asked,
"What is it?"
"Manicotti."
She continued to stare at the food in the tray.
"Ladies first," Uqbah said.

Uqbah grabbed a spatula and put a piece on the plate in front of Ruqayyah. Ruqayyah picked up a fork and knife and got to work. She struggled to cut through the pasta, and struggled longer to chew the food. Uqbah watched the whole thing, discouraged.

"So...what's the verdict?" Uqbah asked.
Ruqayyah chewed and swallowed her food, "Rasoolullah never criticized food."
"He never wasted food, either. So eat."

The two struggled to finish the tray of manicotti.

"How was work?" Ruqayyah asked.
"I had to fire a server."
"That's the second one you fired in a month. What was wrong with this one?"
"He kept telling customers that I had ties to the mob."
"Because you serve Italian food?"
"Apparently. And because I employ him. Enough of that, though. How was your day?"
"I met this new sister. Ma sha Allah, niqaab and everything. She embraced Islam last Friday. She moved here for college. Her name's Fatima."
"Where'd she move from?"
"Nevada. She used to make her living in Las Vegas."
"Doing what?"
"Guys."
"Oh."
"She got kidnapped and thrown in front of a masjid, of all places. Best thing that ever happened to her. Some brothers raised enough money to help her pay for college. Inshallah, they're counting on her to get a job..."
"Doing guys?" Uqbah interrupted.
"Ha, ha, ha, funny. We were hoping that there might be some people to help her get a job."
"What kind of job did she intend on getting with a niqaab on?"
"Oh, I don't know, a restaurant server?"

Uqbah finally got it.

"A niqaabi server?"
"Yeah. I'm glad we're on the same page."
"No, no, no, no..."
"Why? Someone needs to give sisters on the Sunna the opportunity to make money."
"Oh."

There was a pause. Uqbah had a change of heart.

"Look, give her my business card. We'll set up an interview. I'll find something for her that's suitable, in sha Allah."

be patient while i establish context.

on December 22, 2004 12:05 AM

uhhh ohhhh...
I dont like where this is going.

With that said...here are the comments...

- It was sweet of him to at least try to cook.

- "Some brothers raised enough money to help her pay for college. Inshallah, they're counting on her to get a job..."

Those are some mighty charitable brothers mashaAllah. Where are they when us non-prostitute sisters need help?

- "Look, a server needs to look good. For women, that means looking hot. And I don't want hot women working in a restaurant that caters to old, upper-class, rich guys who are frustrated with their current wives and secretary-mistresses."

For some reason I dont quite follow his argument here. He doesnt want the servers to be hot, but he doesnt want to hire fatima because the servers need to be hot? Huh?
Or is he trying to say that he only hires male servers?

on December 22, 2004 1:05 AM

I think this is going to teach us alot insha Allah after the plot begins to unfold. Even as of yet it does get our brains tingling. Which is good because the point of this website is to get us to think and learn.

Wasalaam Warahmatullah Wabaraktu

on December 22, 2004 1:29 AM

A request,
please change the name of the ex-prostitute.
Fatima is the name of our Rasool SAW's daughter, I mean had this woman been an ex-theif that would have been okay. Your imagination runs wide: off all things a convert had to be an ex-prostitute AND she was dropped off in front of the masjid?
I would prefer if you change the name to something else. Give her Ibitsam or Nabeeha name, I dont care, Ibtisam is not my real name anyway.

I think, Uqbah is gonna marry the new girl (sing song voice)

on December 22, 2004 1:45 AM

She wears niqaab and she is gonna be a server. Unfitting, not very respectable for a niqaab wearing woman to do, rather even for a hijaab wearing woman to do. No offense to anyone, I personally would not want to serve, I would cook for a resturant but not serve food because taht would entail coming in contact with guys taht are in a relaxed mode and having a good time, etc. I dont know, wallaahu alim. May Allaah help sisters who really need the job increase their rizq.

LOOOL! to Justoju's comment, where are they when we need help, LOOOL! Why dont you become a live comedian like Azhar Uthman and hey you should have gone to Law School. You would have been the most popular girl there.

on December 22, 2004 2:07 AM

I dont think he plans on making her a server, but I agree with you about the whole women-servers issue. It absolutely requires one to be gentle in speech, complacant, and cute with a tinge of sauciness. I personally dont think I could ever work as a server/waitress because I think I would end up letting my personality get the best of me. My day would be spent joking with one nonmahram customer after another. That is not cool. Considering that I would be selling my personality for tips, I dont see how it would be much different in essence from prostitution.

Live Comedian is out of the question...same reason as above...even if it were in niqab, they would hear my voice, it would be prostitution of the personality. That and the fact that in real life I am incredibly corny and dont know any actual jokes.

I didnt go to law school for specific reasons having to do with the vision I have in my mind of what I want my life to be like.

Dont worry, I still plan on doing the whole post-grad education thing...but I also plan to do a dozen other things inshaAllah. And I want to be practical and make sure that I dont run after conflicting goals like many women caught in between ideologies often do.

Besides, after 9-11, practically half of all the muslims I know changed their career course to law. I dont think we will be having any shortage of muslim lawyers inshaAllah.

Popularity is over-rated.

on December 22, 2004 2:45 AM

I dont know what will be the outcome of this story
but I think being a cook is much better than being a server...after completing her education, however, she will have more opportunities to earn a Halal living, Insha'Allah.

on December 22, 2004 3:39 AM
Amani said

Sr. Justoju: WHy not be a female audience-only performer? :)

Sr. Ibtisaam: I don't think it matters what her name is. The point is she WAS a prostitute and converted to Islam and chose the name of Fatima, the name of the daughter of Prophet Muhammed (Peace be upon him). If you look at our Ummah, I'm sure you will find an Aisha or a Khadijah somewhere who doesn't exemplify the name given to her. Heck, I'm sure there are some Muhammeds out there that aren't the best Muslims. If anyone is disrespecting the name, it is the people who were given it and do not act according to their namesake's example.

Looking forward to more, insha'Allah.

And I too agree about the Waitress thing, it's not a befitting job for any respectable Muslimah. Too much interaction with unknowns and too many open doors for problems.

on December 22, 2004 5:16 AM

"WHy not be a female audience-only performer?"

Two ways of answering that. I will give you both:

1) Whats the point in that, I cant marry any of them. :)

2) I thought I already was that.

Though I think I get those laughs through unintential moments of sheer clumsiness and awkward gracelessness. You know how many times I tripped on my half-a-foot-too-long abaya at the Dawud Wharnsby thing? I thought he was going to start singing a song about removing me from the premises before I damaged something.

on December 22, 2004 9:19 AM
Amani said

"Two ways of answering that. I will give you both:

1) Whats the point in that, I cant marry any of them. :)"

Who ever said the purpose of entertaining was to get married? Azhar Usman is already married, as is Dawud. :P

"2) I thought I already was that. "

Well, not publicly or professionally, with prewritten jokes and a stage and an audience and all that. Think of it, if you go pro, I could hire you for my wedding! :P

And I don't think I can go anywhere without embarassing myself in some way. :)

on December 22, 2004 3:53 PM

"Azhar Usman is already married, as is Dawud. :P"

(sad voice) Yeah...I know.

"Think of it, if you go pro, I could hire you for my wedding"

Stop trying to ruin my parent's life for your own selfish interests.

on December 22, 2004 7:42 PM

Salaam Quick question

I am going to visit my muslim brother who just had his first kid (a son)...what could be a good token of jesture (an envelope with cash or something else)...sister need help???

on December 22, 2004 8:00 PM
Amani said

"Stop trying to ruin my parent's life for your own selfish interests."

On the side girl, on the side! Isn't Azhar a lawyer? :)

Br. Asif: Sorry, I'm not really sure what a guy would give a guy, seeing as how I am not one. For women, we usually have them baby shower things and give gifts. I think money is good though.

on December 22, 2004 8:46 PM

If I had a kid I would LOVE it if someone gave him/her his/her very first copy of the Quran (with a dua attached), for him/her to use later on.

Amani-- yes, he is. He is also one of the founders of the Nawawi Foundation mashaAllah.

on December 22, 2004 8:51 PM
Ibtism said

you can give a baby blue bag for the boy. But money is good enough. Qur'aan they can get from anywhere and there is no shortage of qur'aans. I think you should give money. Or ask your mom advice for a gift. Baby bags, with bottles and what not go a long way(my mom has given baby gifts to tons of people, so I know). Please be practical. Also, I will not write a rebuttal for Huda article because quite personally Huda has no hidaya because she hates herself and looks down upon a muslim who is not a sinner( because he is someone who doesnt drink, doesnt date, doesnt hurt people, etc). To compare a believer to a murtadh is retardedness and not worth my time to waste. i am sad so many people have no sense to see the utter shallowness (of what deen means or what islaam means: just outward expression of hijaab, salaah, eating zabeehah, giving up movies, etc). Whereas disrespect to men that propose. What an ungrateful, arrogant, shallow(thinks of herself as above the clouds while she once herself was a non-practicing muslim). It is a blessing and an honor for someone to propose and they should be treated this way(perhaps men should spread the word amongst themselves, dont go to the Huda girl she is above everyone and not bother to hurt their prestige). I am shocked at how retardedly the brothers did not say anything to the insulting way in which Uthman was protrayed, how dumbfoundedly he gave answers: men are not that dumb in reality. They have keen observation and they are A LOT wiser than women in respecting people and especially their parents. There is no way a man would have said in front of his family, "i dont think we are compatible."
But perhaps I should stop here. If such material is written albeit hypothetical to demonstrate what to see and what not to see in a spouse then the buck stops here for me. There is no point in my commenting because hidaya is only from Allaah and not hidayaonline cannot change people's opinions. dont expect me to reply to any of yours reply to my post. I have realized, majority of you are quite immature and your articles are also quite immature. Grow up people. You have not gone out in the real world. Once you do, dont mind sending me an email to tell me I was right.
Ibtisam aka Abdullaah Somebody

on December 22, 2004 9:59 PM

Is because one is truthful to themself and writes what they believe deserving of insult?

Is youngness deserving of insult? If so, then are there not even older and more experienced people who may differ on with a still newlyweds opinion.

It may be idealistic but one should not insult there brothers and sisters when angry. No-one here ever wished bad upon you, nor condemn, but are kind and welcoming and enjoy the mutual knowledge gained with each person's insight.

I do not accept such actions from anyone...even from my family. Insulting causes hatred and eats up good deeds. It takes away from brotherhood.

I hope you find it in your heart to forgive us, no-one here ever meant you any offense.

Wasalaam Warahmatullah Wabarakatu

on December 22, 2004 10:46 PM

Salaam Folks:

OK, today was not my lucky day to see the young boy...Insha'Allah some other time...I have to figure out this "blue" baby bag...but maybe some cash or gift certificate will do.

But I wanted to share something with you all guys...Something that the father told me and I knew Subhan'Allah its only from Allah that one can say such things.

Our discussion led to family, marriage and kids. And he said that its so beautiful to share a child together with his wife that Allah has bestowed on them and it has definitely brought them even closer together and forged their feelings and love for each other...ALhamdulillah.

And he continued further on to say that both of them are now putting all their effort to nourish their son in all sense and manner. Its like two people constantly looking after him and feeding him and cleaning him and so on.
Then he added that there is probably another kid like his son in an orphange who does not have so much attention paid to him, no mother or no father to take care of him but only some food for sustance is provided to him...and he will grow up just like his son will Insha'Allah. He continued to say that Allah in HIS infinte Mercy will support that orphan as well and eventually they both will grow up to become capable individuals...one who had full support and love from his family and one who did not had all of that...Allah levels the playing field for all His creations if not today then tomorrow. He is Most aware of His creatures needs.
After hearing this I went into a silence and said you have said the Truth...Masha'Allah.

The bottom line is my dear muslim brothers and sisters...that what has happened today to each one of us will not be there for the rest of our lives...so if you are grieving, then there will be time for you to rejoice. And if you are bestowed with blessings and happiness today then be Thankful to Allah...May he keep us Blessed...Ameen

on December 23, 2004 1:25 AM

Salaam Ibtisam:

Hey the 1 question that you missed was 3 points only...and also you were not able to revise your answers...well that aint toooooo bad!

No really, cause If I was giving that exam and I had missed one 3 point question (out of a maximum of 100 points)...then that would be a very good effort from my point of view...Maybe you set yourself with very high standards...Masha'Allah....which is a good thing...But I think you will be fine, one way or another, Insha'Allah.
Dont fret about it, its done and over with.

Here is something the may cheer you up...One of my friend and I were struggling with this course and it seemed that we will barely make a "B". Then one day my friend came in the apartment from a lab or lecture and said..."if So-and-so professor can get a PHD and be a lecturer teaching us in this college...then I can bloody well finish my Bachelors and be an engineer...I know this because I am smarter than this Moron of a professor"...so as they say we all need some inspiration and encouragement, you never know what could be the triggering effect for anyone of us to achieve our goals and objectives...Insha'Allah

Cheer up sis, this world needs your smile, especially your muslim brothers and sisters on hidayaonline...Insha'Allah

on December 23, 2004 1:57 AM

"DISCOVERING THE SELF"

a day with
Shaykh Abdullah Adhami

@ The Foundation for Islamic Education

Saturday, December 25th, 2004

Gender Relations Workshop
12:00 PM - 3:00 PM

Seeking Knowledge
5:00 PM - 7:00 PM

"Allah Subhanahu wa Ta'ala knows that the human heart is not a static entity; it is sometimes weak and at times dynamic"
--Shaykh Abdullah

~CATERED DINNER INCLUDED~

~Exclusive Eid Clothes @ 3:00 PM~

Students: Workshop is FREE with Evening Ticket Purchase of $20.

Adults: $25 Full Day Pass OR $20 Evening Program only.

Children 6-12: $10

~FAMILY DISCOUNTS AVAILABLE FOR ADVANCE PURCHASES!~

Masjid website: http://www.fiesite.org (Villanova, PA)

For More Information:
Please email khan130@aol.com
or
Sr. Mubeen Husain (215) 300-0715
or
Sr. Naveen Khan (571) 259-3246

(Please bring your friends and family, jazak Allah khair, we pray to see you there, inshaAllah)

on December 23, 2004 3:08 AM

where is this workshop? at the Masjid in Villanova? And Somehow the sheikh name sounds familair. I am not sure if I have heard him in ISNA conference...sometime way back.

I like the fact that its being organized on 25th December. So that the family and especially kids can enjoy the gathering and not sit at home thinking of Christmas and all that...Hey do you guys know that the Jewish families (especially the older folks) go out to Theater on 25th December in good number!

on December 23, 2004 3:44 AM
Justoju (clearly in love with this program) said

Yes, you might have heard of him. He used to be more popular in the U.S. before he moved to the mideast. He used to do a lot of lectures and other stuff. He also is the speaker in the "Gender Relations" tape set that Faisal and I were commenting about on the other thread. He is seriously one of the experts in the field of gender implications in classical arabic texts. Listening to him always makes me passionate about the beauty, complexity, and divine favor of the arabic language.

He also has a wonderful way of talking about the sacred love that Allah, Glorious and Exalted, puts in the hearts of spouses and the rights and responsibilities of that covenant. If I were ever having problems in my marriage he would definitely be my marriage counselor. After listening to him I always leave with this "I cant wait to get married so that I can make my Rabb happy by being the bestest wife in the whole world!" enthusiasm. So really, married people and unmarried people alike should def. consider going.

My aunt attended his last program on marriage a while back and now she is bringing her husband to this one so that he can benefit from it. The same goes for some other grownups I know. I mean, not just american-muslim newlyweds, but even aunties and uncles will benefit from this inshaAllah.

And considering Hidaya has become marriage central these past few weeks, I think the program will do us all good inshaAllah.

btw, I was at the villanova islamic center around a year ago for the NYU Islamic Retreat. Lemme tell you, it is soooo gorgeous mashaAllah. I would go even if just to admire the center, the grounds, and the ambience.

on December 23, 2004 6:32 AM

So if I procure the Gender relationship video/CD of Sheikh Adhami, would that amply substitute for this program?
I am wondering if the content is the same between the two as far as Gender relationship workshop is concerned.

on December 23, 2004 10:54 AM

The Gender Relations Tape series is better since its a series of 6 tapes and is more concentrated. But then I dunno, nothing is a substitute for hearing Sheikh Adhami speaking in person...its the nur...

on December 23, 2004 11:23 AM

yes, I concur, there is no substitute of learning from the sheikh in his presence...every other means is secondry to this.

on December 23, 2004 11:26 AM

You called Huda a number of nasty things on both this and the other thread (Marriage Considerations III: Hardball) and really blew up on her and on Hidaya. I understood you were having a bad day and felt sympathy and offered an ear if you wanted to talk (I used to be part of an emergency teen hotline type of thing and am used to hearing people take their frustrations out and have experience counseling them). That offer stands for any female who needs or desires it.

But, as an editor, for future reference (and this is a word to ALL the readers/commenters/writers, myself included), Huda is just a character and everyone is welcome to comment on her and criticize, but please be careful not to cross the line and criticize real people who have been polite to you. I can take someone insulting me or my characters and not be personally offended, but I cant take someone insulting Hidaya or fellow writers.

It is every editors responsibility to make sure proper akhlaq and adab is demonstrated between people on the site. I would not be mentioning any of this or bringing it up again if I didnt feel that it was necessary. I hope I will never have to write a reminder such as this ever again inshaAllah.

And again, I love you all by virtue of your being Muslims. May Allah, Glorious and Exalted, and you all forgive me if I have ever hurt or offended any of you. My weaknesses and flaws are many and I fear the day when I will be held accountable for them. I keep all of you in my duas and pray for your wellbeing (regardless of how you may feel about me, my views/writing/characters/values), and I hope, inshaAllah, to continue to learn and benefit from all of your opinions on Hidaya. inshaAllah.

on December 25, 2004 5:13 AM

I am not getting married.

(No wait, must have tawakkull...plus marriage is preferred to safeguard one's deen...plus he might not be like those losers and might actually help my deen...plus I need a man to travel...plus I might need a man to fulfill my dreams of being the matriarch of a dynasty of revivers of Islam...plus my parents will be upset by my not marrying...plus I need a man to lift things and open jars and stuff...or I could just start weight training...no, I dont have time to go beyond my cardio...plus I dont want to be an old, toothless, and lonely woman who lives with 8 cats and throws pots at trespassers...though that does sound fun...but I would run out of pots...without pots I wouldnt be able to cook food...I dont want to starve.)

Ok, scratch that, I am ok with marriage.

on December 28, 2004 4:26 AM