« What Lies Within | Main | The Masterpiece »
December 29, 2004
The Devil's Deception, Part 3

by Gillette aka Hassan[uddin] Khaja

The only sounds Uqbah could hear in his office were his breathing and the ticking of the clock. He watched, behind the glass, over the customers as they dined and chatted. He checked his watch and watched the second hand pass over the twelve, at which point, he heard a knock on the door.

"Who is it?"
"Sir, your two o'clock is here."
"Send her in."

Fatima, covered from head to toe, walked in. Uqbah ran up to the door and held it open. He addressed his secretary.

"Joseph, you come in, too."

He responded to Uqbah's request and came in. Uqbah closed the door and sat at his desk.

"You can sit down now."

Fatima sat down in front of the desk. Joseph pulled up a chair.

Uqbah said, "I think the woman would like her space."

Joseph moved back with his chair.

"Do you have a resume?"
"Yeah, hold on."

She pulled out her resume and put it on his desk. He picked it up and looked over it once.

"What did you do at the diner?"
"I waited tables."
"Did you spend any time in the kitchen?"
"No."
"Oh."

He feigned interest in the short resume. Oscar came in with a tray of pasta.

"Sir, your lunch is ready."

Uqbah watched Oscar put down the tray of pasta and lay out the utensils for him.

"I think you forgot something," Uqbah interrupted.
"Oh, I'm sorry. It won't happen again."

Oscar and Uqbah stared at each other for a second, while Joseph and Fatima watched.

"Well?" Uqbah asked.
"Yes sir."

Jonathan picked up the utensils and pasta and left the office, closing the door behind him. There was a knock on the door.

"Who is it?" Uqbah asked.
"It's Jonathan, with your food, sir."
"Come in, Jonathan."

He opened the door and repeated the same routine.

"Good job," Uqbah said. "You need work before I put you back on the floor. Go home."
"Thank you, sir."

Jonathan leaves. Uqbah addresses Fatima.

"If a waiter screws up, I have him practice on me. These guys need to learn some manners. He didn't ask me if I wanted anything else. We'll probably work on that tomorrow."

Uqbah grabbed a fork and started on his pasta. He chewed his first bite and swallowed it. Fatima saw that he didn't look satisfied.

"Joseph," Uqbah said, "please throw this out."
"Wait," Fatima interrupted, "you're going to waste it by throwing it out?"
"I'm a very picky eater. These kinds of things make me vomit."

As Uqbah handed the plate to Joseph, Fatima grabbed it. She took the fork and ate. She assumed the same look Uqbah had when he ate it.

"I think we can fix this. Hold on."

She went to the spice rack behind Uqbah's desk and searched it. She grabbed three bottles and went back to the side of the desk with the poisonous pasta. She took the bottles and worked her magic with spices.

She tasted it, then pushed the plate over to Uqbah.

"Now try it."

He complied.

"Pretty good."

He put down the fork, and wiped his mouth and hands.

"Wanna be a chef?"
"Sure. But with a bunch of guys?"
"We'll work something out. You'll get a call in the near future to set up an appointment with me to show you the ropes."

Ruqayyah drove the car while Uqbah sat in the passenger's seat. The two just finished praying Salatul Isha at the masjid.

"You go way too slow," Uqbah remarked. "Maybe I should drive."
"We're not paying for new brake pads again," she responded. "I talked to Fatima. She knows a lot, both good and bad."
"Like...?"
"She knows Sura Al-Baqarah."
"Ma sha Allah."
"She also knows of a website that bashes 'extremist' scholars for their 'oppressive' interpretation of Sura Al-Baqarah."
"I liked her, too."
"Please don't use 'liked' for a female around me."
"Okay. She seemed okay."
"I'll work on her, insha Allah."
"Just make sure she doesn't work on you first."
"I know da'wah," she smiled. "I knew what I was doing with you."
"Alhamdulillah. Just remember who has the real power in this relationship."
"Yeah. Allah [ta'ala]."

I repeat my sentiments from part 2:
"uhhh ohhhh...
I dont like where this is going."

Ok, soooooooo...

1) He made his poor wife finish his mutant manicotti and yet was about to waste food here?

2) Interesting how men who have less power at home tend to assert more authority and 'control' in public to make up for it...I am sure the fact that Fatima is a female who, professionally, he has power over, will be quite the turn-on for him.

3) Wow. How bad can bad pasta be? How does a chef working at an italian restaurant screw up so badly at pasta that people cant even swallow it?

4)"I know da'wah," she smiled. "I knew what I was doing with you."

That line just doesnt sit well with me...

5) I sense some 'Breach of the Covenant' notes about to be put to work.

6) "As Uqbah handed the plate to Joseph, Fatima grabbed it."

When I first read that I thought she was going to gobble it up cuz she was starving and homeless or something.

on December 29, 2004 2:09 AM

yup, he is gonna marry her. I sense that. I think he should, because stupid Ruqayyah(is that his wife's name) will learn her lesson. She should have just listen to her parents and not be like 90% of girls in USA. So called religious women.

on December 29, 2004 5:04 AM

Salaam Brothers:

Please ask Imam of your mosques/community to perform Salat (Ghaib) Janazah for the deceased who lost their lives in this Earthquake/Tsunami catastrophe. A lot of them are being buried in Mass graves and most of them are from Indonesia.

on December 29, 2004 9:09 AM
Amani said

Sister Ibtisam: Can you please clarify what you mean? I don't quite understand.

on December 29, 2004 12:30 PM

Never mind, i dont wanna get in trouble. I just stated it, if you dont understand, I beg your pardon and will not explain as I dont want to create more anxiety and aah umm 'hatred' towards myself because of my statements. so ya'nee alhamdulillaah. khalli my statements.

Yes, salaatul ghaib should be prayed for muslimeen that have become shuhaadaa in the tsunami.

on December 29, 2004 3:02 PM

Salaam Everyone:

May Allah be all Pleased with you and your family...Ameen

About the article, I would have to say that UQBAH may end up marrying the 2nd lady (Fatima)...but I sincerely hope thats not the final outcome. I think he has an awesome wife in Ruqqayah and should cherish her.
That reminds me, have you guys seen the Iranin movie "Leila"? Its about a happily married couple who later came to know that the wife couldn't concieve a child. The husbands family wanted him to marry again and so on...so its an interesting story.

on December 29, 2004 9:56 PM

to asif,

"Perhaps you guys in ISRU can schedule a movie day/evening to see this movie. I guess its one of the hot topics on Hidayaonline."

are you talking about this story? or about the scrubs movie?

on December 30, 2004 12:50 AM

Salaam Gillette Bro:

I was talking, in general, about having a general video session once a semseter to show special videos that may benefit everyone in MSA. Its like a Pizza and movie evening by MSA group.

on January 3, 2005 10:39 AM

The first ISRU meeting is going to be a showing of the short film "Scrubs..." We can do it every semester, but Talal's the only one with the talent to direct a film, and he'll be graduating in Spring.

on January 3, 2005 3:39 PM

Brother Gillette:

More the reason for you to step up Sir, and keep the "Scrubs" episodes rolling, semester after semester.

By the way, forward my interview article to Talal, if you can...as he may find the article useful if he is looking into interviewing for some job, Insha'Allah.

Jazak Allah Khair

on January 3, 2005 4:50 PM

Considering the negative effects of tv/movies and the popular culture that creates them, if you are going to endorse non-ISRU-produced films, an immense amount of scrutiny will need to go into the selection process.

With tv/movies, the good is 'usually' mixed with the bad and it is quite difficult for the viewer to separate the two (even when conscious of it).

wAllahuAlim.

on January 3, 2005 9:41 PM

Salaam,

Justoju san: Yes, what you said is probably true for most cases. However, I believe there are some nice Iranian movies that are wholesome and very engaging to watch. I can name two of them, White Balloon & Children of Heaven. Some of you may have already seen them.

Plus you guys can always show some sheikh/imam giving a talk on specific subject or themes and have some discussion afterwards.

I am not sure logistically how much of this is possible at ISRU, but you guys are extremely capable and so I see no reason why y'all cant come up with something (in addition to "scrubs")that is halal and entertaining as well, Insha'Allah.

on January 3, 2005 11:45 PM

I have yet to hear about a movie that doesn't show part of a woman's awrah.

on January 3, 2005 11:52 PM

Asalaam Aleikum Warahmatullah Wabarkatu,

"I have yet to hear about a movie that doesn't show part of a woman's awrah."

*Lion of the Desert

*Muhammed: The Last Prophet (animated)

*Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets =)

*Islam: Empire of Faith

An interesting sidenote to Iranian movies, I actually heard an filmaker saying once that since almost everything is censored and the budgets are so low that Iranian films have some of the best storylines in the world (to make up for the lack of other things). Hollywood should take a lesson or two from that.

See also Br. Gillettes "Women, never sell prooducts without them"

Wasalaam Warahmatullah Wabarakatu

on January 4, 2005 12:14 AM

"Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets"

I haven't seen it, but I'm pretty sure it promotes sihr.

on January 4, 2005 12:18 AM

which i've heard is quite kufr-ish.

on January 4, 2005 12:19 AM

Brother Gillette:

Both movies that I mentioned are about a brother and a sister not more than 10 years old...and in both the girl is wearing hijaab and properly covered...Perhaps, a sister can screen them and submit her recommendations.

I think you guys at ISRU will enjoy the movie...if you guys cant make it happen, somehow...then no biggy..."Scrubs" is always there as back up!

on January 4, 2005 12:32 AM

Scrubs is backup to no one.

(Its ridiculous how I can be patriotic about something that has nothing to do with me, just because its Hidaya related)

on January 4, 2005 1:02 AM

My sister called me out on this one...and I was so sure I had it. In Harry Potter TCOS, all of the the student girls, while wearing skirts are pre-pubescent -- Therefore it wouldn't count as Awra. Also...all the women have there heads covered and wear 'jilbabs', BUT I did indeed forget that Mrs. Weasley did indeed have her hair exposed which means that I was wrong.

Also you are correct, It is a movie about magic and make believe stuff...but I really wouldn;t go so far as to say watching Harry Pooter or Star Wars as Kufr. Magic is haram indeed, but watching a movie about kids doing magic that you know just a movie Im not sure. After all, the headmaster has a beard down to his knees. Although in all seriousness I did look up this issue just now to check and I came up with this:

He said that it should be avoided...escpecially for children which I could understand as they have a harder problem telling the real from the fake. I remember as a kid trying to make things dissapear like david copperfield and lifting object with 'the force'. This of course is not good for adults to do and quite silly when knowing now that one should only rely on Allah(subhanna wa taala) for all things...like not believing in omens as that would entail that you rely on fake signs and things you only made up in your brain to give you guidance rather than just Tawakkuling on Allah. As for adults though I wonder if this topic (and that of reading mythology) should be discussed more. I took a course at Rutgers called "Greek Mythology" in my final year where we read and studied all sort of mythological stories including the creation stories and in many cases it actually taught me how ridiculous pagans and idol-worship really is. I think perhaps (as in so many other things in Muslim behavior) that you can;t prevent your kids from doing everything (because they will eventually be exposed to it and not be under constant supervison) but rather teach them of what is right and what you SHOULD do...such as 'magic won't do anything, only Allah has the power to make miracles and make things dissapear so you should always rely on Him and Tawakul on Him'. You could give stories of the prophets as example as when people thought they did miracles from themselves they said 'No, I only ask Allah subhanna wa taala and He does them'.

Also, about tv. I very much agree that the good is mixed with the bad. For instance, I really like watching nature shows (National Geographic, Animal Planet). Unfortunately, they have to show commercials...which for so many reasons is bad.

Therefore it is somewhat of a solution by watching PBS/WLIW because they are commercial-less, leaving you free to watch all the Nature Shows/BBC World/Jim Lehrer's News Hour as much as you please.

Perhaps it would be nice to open people's eyes to some nature films. While many may think this ridiculous in actuality it is a very good tool for the rememberance of Allah. Allah's signs can be seen in all his creations...sometimes you watch these shows/film and really can;t help thinking 'Subhan Allah'. I don;t understand why Muslims wouldn;t watch this stuff constantly.to reflect on the glory of Allah and his power.

I recommend this show which I ran into twice and was really very good. It's a program called "Nature", and becuase it's on PBS there are no dirty commercials to be exposed to.

NOVA is also a very amazing program:

In Sura 30:
"20. Among His Signs in this, that He created you from dust; and then,- behold, ye are men scattered (far and wide)!

21. And among His Signs is this, that He created for you mates from among yourselves, that ye may dwell in tranquillity with them, and He has put love and mercy between your (hearts): verily in that are Signs for those who reflect.

22. And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the variations in your languages and your colours: verily in that are Signs for those who know.

23. And among His Signs is the sleep that ye take by night and by day, and the quest that ye (make for livelihood) out of His Bounty: verily in that are signs for those who hearken.

24. And among His Signs, He shows you the lightning, by way both of fear and of hope, and He sends down rain from the sky and with it gives life to the earth after it is dead: verily in that are Signs for those who are wise.

25. And among His Signs is this, that heaven and earth stand by His Command: then when He calls you, by a single call, from the earth, behold, ye (straightway) come forth.

26. To Him belongs every being that is in the heavens and on earth: all are devoutly obedient to Him. "

Wasalaam Aleikum Warahmatullah Wabarkatu

on January 4, 2005 1:34 AM

Asalaam Aleikum Warahmatullah Wabarkatu,

This last week alhamdullilah I have been blessed with seeing my cousin and his family who are visiting visiting me from the midwest. His son Omar is masha Allah very very smart and at 8 years old is at the top of his class.

This is just an interesting note how parents really do underestimate kids sometimes. Kids are quite smart when you explain things to them and I can even remember having a grasp of Heaven, Hell, and the day of Judgment since I was a little kid.

Now interestingly enough when Omar goes to play games on the internet he knows that there are bad sites out there and he doesn't do any surfing but rather just goes directly to nickelodeon.com or cartoonnetwork.com or whatever site there is and avoids any other sites. This is because his parents explained this to him and rather then repressing him (by not letting him use the internet for fear he might run into bad sites) they merely taught him that there are bad things that are not good and should be stayed away from.

I have been witness to and hear many stories of sons and daughters of sheikhs and/or very religious parents who turn do some of the most haraam things out there. This is essentially because they were repressed from parents who sought to shield them from all things that could cause them harm rather than teach them why/why not something should be stayed away from. I guess people don't really take into consideration that one day this kid will grow up and be exposed to all sorts of stuff without any parental supervision. Or they also don;t take into consideration that even if they prohibit their children from watching movies/tv/internet/games etc. they will have friends and most likely will be exposed to those things anyway (without the guidance they needed in the first place to understand why such things were wrong). This is the same with children who as kids were not allowed to eat chocolate. When they grow up and have the opportunity to do what they want they become choco-holics.

Also, while taking my cousin and his family to sightsee NY...in the subway station there was a magazine stand with the magazines in a clear glass window, half of them having half naked women on them. When I saw Omar looking in curiosity at the newsstand and I quickly said "No, don't look there, turn around" laughingly saying to my cousin "he's way too young to for this stuff". He then said "Actually, by doing that you just aroused his curiosity more and now he's going to want to look at the newsstand".

So my point is that we really should beware of being so afraid for our kids and undertsand that if we don;t teach them these things from when they are young...then when they are older and become exposed to these things then they will just become haraamoholics. Or that when they are young they don't constantly go to Shuayb's house or Mostafa's house to go play nintendo, eat junk food and watch Disney movies to indulge themselves in these forms of entertainment.

Wasalaam Aleikum Warahmatullah Wabarakatu

on January 4, 2005 3:15 AM

I read Maureen Dowd's column in the Times today, and thought of Justoju's first comment about men and authority.

"Men Just Want Mommy
By MAUREEN DOWD

ASHINGTON

A few years ago at a White House Correspondents' dinner, I met a very beautiful actress. Within moments, she blurted out: "I can't believe I'm 46 and not married. Men only want to marry their personal assistants or P.R. women."

I'd been noticing a trend along these lines, as famous and powerful men took up with the young women whose job it was to tend to them and care for them in some way: their secretaries, assistants, nannies, caterers, flight attendants, researchers and fact-checkers.

Women in staff support are the new sirens because, as a guy I know put it, they look upon the men they work for as "the moon, the sun and the stars." It's all about orbiting, serving and salaaming their Sun Gods.

In all those great Tracy/Hepburn movies more than a half-century ago, it was the snap and crackle of a romance between equals that was so exciting. Moviemakers these days seem far more interested in the soothing aura of romances between unequals.

In James Brooks's "Spanglish," Adam Sandler, as a Los Angeles chef, falls for his hot Mexican maid. The maid, who cleans up after Mr. Sandler without being able to speak English, is presented as the ideal woman. The wife, played by Téa Leoni, is repellent: a jangly, yakking, overachieving, overexercised, unfaithful, shallow she-monster who has just lost her job with a commercial design firm. Picture Faye Dunaway in "Network" if she'd had to stay home, or Glenn Close in "Fatal Attraction" without the charm.

The same attraction of unequals animated Richard Curtis's "Love Actually," a 2003 holiday hit. The witty and sophisticated British prime minister, played by Hugh Grant, falls for the chubby girl who wheels the tea and scones into his office. A businessman married to the substantial Emma Thompson falls for his sultry secretary. A writer falls for his maid, who speaks only Portuguese.

(I wonder if the trend in making maids who don't speak English heroines is related to the trend of guys who like to watch Kelly Ripa in the morning with the sound turned off?)

Art is imitating life, turning women who seek equality into selfish narcissists and objects of rejection, rather than affection.

As John Schwartz of The New York Times wrote recently, "Men would rather marry their secretaries than their bosses, and evolution may be to blame."

A new study by psychology researchers at the University of Michigan, using college undergraduates, suggests that men going for long-term relationships would rather marry women in subordinate jobs than women who are supervisors.

As Dr. Stephanie Brown, the lead author of the study, summed it up for reporters: "Powerful women are at a disadvantage in the marriage market because men may prefer to marry less-accomplished women." Men think that women with important jobs are more likely to cheat on them.

"The hypothesis," Dr. Brown said, "is that there are evolutionary pressures on males to take steps to minimize the risk of raising offspring that are not their own." Women, by contrast, did not show a marked difference in their attraction to men who might work above or below them. And men did not show a preference when it came to one-night stands.

A second study, which was by researchers at four British universities and reported last week, suggested that smart men with demanding jobs would rather have old-fashioned wives, like their mums, than equals. The study found that a high I.Q. hampers a woman's chance to get married, while it is a plus for men. The prospect for marriage increased by 35 percent for guys for each 16-point increase in I.Q.; for women, there is a 40 percent drop for each 16-point rise.

So was the feminist movement some sort of cruel hoax? The more women achieve, the less desirable they are? Women want to be in a relationship with guys they can seriously talk to - unfortunately, a lot of those guys want to be in relationships with women they don't have to talk to.

I asked the actress and writer Carrie Fisher, on the East Coast to promote her novel "The Best Awful," who confirmed that women who challenge men are in trouble.

"I haven't dated in 12 million years," she said drily. "I gave up on dating powerful men because they wanted to date women in the service professions. So I decided to date guys in the service professions. But then I found out that kings want to be treated like kings, and consorts want to be treated like kings, too."

E-mail: liberties@nytimes.com"

on January 13, 2005 7:46 PM

There was a young man, who married a lady more prominent, influential and more resourceful than him, yet they had the best marriage there ever was...The groom was Muhammad son of Abdullah and the bride was Khadija Al-Kubra daughter of Khuwaylid...and for sure they were a match made in heaven.

This triggered after my reading in the above article how men dont want to marry women who are higher in status or more influential then themselves...

on January 13, 2005 8:46 PM

Loved the article...and yes, the feminist movement was a cruel hoax. As is its constant attempted application to cultures whose histories of various female social roles, and the psychological roles of its members, is greatly different from that of the typical white anglo-saxon christian female.

They are taking their baggage out on us and screwing our chances at balanced life.

on January 14, 2005 12:47 AM

Salaam Justoju San:

Easy now...all is not lost...There is a lot of hope still remaining as we have the likes of you and the younger generation of sisters who know better then the generation of 60s and 70s, Insha'Allah.

on January 14, 2005 1:02 AM

And ladies, dont get the wrong message, its GOOD to be smart and assertive. The ummah needs you and every bit of intelligence you can muster. The trick is to give your husband his islamic rights and to learn domestic diplomacy. As long as he feels like he is the man of the house, he really wont care too much if you are madame curie. He might even be proud of your intelligence and encourage it and its application. A large part of female intelligence is learning how to be non-threatening in the home.

The islamic model of balanced psycho-social living is very different from that of the one written about and researched in the west. We need to stop turning to them for advice because their background is very different and what works for them will most likely NOT work for us.

Any woman can be a lover, but it takes a very intelligent woman to learn to be a friend. But for that deep friendship to happen he has to trust you first, and for him to trust you he cant feel that he has to fight you for power in the relationship. He needs the illusion of control, so give it to him. At one point you will have his complete trust and respect and will thus become indispensable to him. A sex-partner is easily replaced, but an intimate friend isnt. Then you will have the kind of adoring, attentive husband that you always wanted.

on January 14, 2005 1:06 AM

"He needs the illusion of control, so give it to him. "

Classic line.
Heh, subhaaaanAllah.

on January 14, 2005 1:08 AM

Wow!...Masha'Allah...I want to marry such a lady...Insha'Allah...where is she?

on January 14, 2005 1:11 AM
Amani said

Salaam Alaykum,

A little late, but I couldn't resist.

"I have yet to hear about a movie that doesn't show part of a woman's awrah."

"The Lion King", "Monsters, Inc.", "Finding Nemo", just to name a few.

on February 13, 2005 4:58 PM