« Book of Peace | Main | A Communion With Allah »
January 12, 2005
The Devil's Deception, Part 5

by Gillette aka Hassan[uddin] Khaja

Ruqayyah entered the apartment, and saw Uqbah sitting there with his meal.

"Assalamu 'Alaikum," Uqbah said.
"Wa 'alaikum assalaam."
"I love your hair."
"You do? Jazakallah. I thought you might like it."
"I just wish you didn't show everyone else after Salatul Jumuah today."
"Shaykh Ahmed said you might have problems with it."
"You met him?"
"No. Fatima told me what he said."
"You were supposed to be teaching her, not the other way around. Don't you remember what I said?" Uqbah asked.
"Hijab doesn't equal aqida."
"You're gonna hide behind that excuse now?"
"Anything's better than hiding my hair."

There was a silence. Ruqayyah got nervous.

"I'm gonna sleep." She broke the silence. "Are you coming?"
"I might be going out with Abdur-Rahman tonight."
"What time are you gonna be back?"
"Not sure. There's this place I heard about around twenty miles away that I wanted to try."
"I'll never understand your willingness to travel so far for food."
"I'll probably be back late. You shouldn't wait up for me."
"I never had to. We always went out together."
"Fine, you can wait up for me." Uqbah detected a hint of worry in her voice, but remained adamant. "But it'll be long." He got up to get his jacket. "Where are the keys?"
"You're driving?"
"I gotta pick up Abdur-Rahman. His car is back in the shop. He got another scratch."
She grabbed the keys from her pocket and held them out for him. Uqbah took them.
"I'll call you if anything happens. Assalamu 'alaikum."
"Wa 'alaikum assalaam."
The door shut behind Uqbah. Ruqayyah locked the door and walked away to the bedroom. The sounds of her crying made its way out of the room and into the rest of the apartment.

Uqbah got into the car. Before starting it, he called Abdur-Rahman on his cell phone.
"Assalamu 'alaikum...we need to talk...yeah, it's important...I'd rather talk in person...I'll pick you up and we'll chat in the restaurant...All right...thanks...Wa 'alaikum assalaam."

Abdur-Rahman sat at a table in the restaurant. Uqbah was in the kitchen, searching through the walk-in refrigerator.

"We don't have any of that Snapple garbage," Uqbah yelled from the refrigerator.
"Surprise me then."

Uqbah came into the dining room with a tray with two tall glasses of a bluish-green liquid. He put it on the table and sat down. They drank as they talked.

"Me and Ruqayyah are having problems."
"What else is new?"
"No, this time it was bad."
"How so?"
"Remember how I told you these things that Fatima was telling Ruqayyah?"
"She started to believe it."
"How'd you know?"
"Call it a hunch."
"It wasn't a big fight. But things might be different now."
"Really. How?"
"Well, when was the last time we've been out so late?"
"Before I got married..."
"Yeah. When we were single."
"Try to spend more time with her. And find out who the hell that shaykh is."
"I gotta fire Fatima."
"No, don't do that. Don't let your business be affected by this. You still have a restaurant to run."
"All right."

need...feed...back...

on January 12, 2005 4:34 PM

Salaam Br. Gillette:

Ok I would like to see a time schedule for mahndi, then Baraat and then the Valimaa (between Uqbah and Fatima)...is there going to be a divorce as well (between Uqbah and Ruqqayah)..if so, I need a timeline on that as well!

By the way, I am being critical today....there seems to be huge disconnect between last episode and this episode...how come all of a sudden Uqbah has this huge marriage problem when in the earlier conversation it didn't amount to such...
Relationship between husband and wife is always convoluted, but I see a huge step function in between the two episodes, quiet frankly, not very typical in such relationships....but perhaps I may have skipped something.

Jazak Allah kahir

on January 12, 2005 4:50 PM

Feedback:
This series is going wayyy to slowly.
There was barely any development in there.

on January 12, 2005 5:04 PM
hira said

I agree with Talal ...

And stop (everyone) speculating. Why does anyone have to get a divorce, or why does Uqbah have to re-marry? Maybe the series will end in everyone reflecting on their mistakes, on their relationship, and re-focusing on everything for teh sake of Allah.

C'mon ppl, start believing and hoping in happy endings for all. Too much hurt going around already, as it is (tsunami, iraq, palestine, ...)

on January 12, 2005 5:09 PM

whoa.

She took her hijab off.

Did I miss something?

on January 12, 2005 5:49 PM

Well thats why I said I think in the next episode we need a time line for marriage (or divorce)...cause all of a sudden we have Ruqqayah not doing Hijaab....If thats the case, then the writing is on the wall...Uqbah is probably gonna bail out of this relationship!

Br. Gillette...man, you didn't do justice to Ruqqayah...how come she has taken off Hijab, while this new Fatima is doing Niqaab/Hijaab and getting closer (proximity wise) to Uqbah?
As i said earlier...huge step function from previous episodes.

on January 12, 2005 6:47 PM

oops...

1) nothing about fatima is supposed to make sense. i'll make sense of that in the future, inshallah.

2) there's no sign of whether or not there was a short or long lapse of time.

3) whether or not ruqayyah could have taken off her hijab that quickly, allahu 'alam, but that might make more sense in the future as well, inshallah (or else this story would really suck - but you didn't hear that from me).

on January 12, 2005 7:45 PM

You think you can do better? Send your:

Name
Column title
Column sample
Some idea of what you want to write about.
If you want to write weekly or bi-weekly
Email address
Whether or not you're an RU student/alumni
SS Number
Drivers' License Number
Mailing Address
Credit Numbers with expiration dates
Anything that will facilitate identity theft

Brothers can e-mail me. Sisters can e-mail Justoju at writing4hidaya@yahoo.com .

I'm joking - I don't need the DL Number.

on January 12, 2005 11:47 PM

I'm also joking about everything from SS Number down.

on January 12, 2005 11:47 PM

"I'm joking"

I'm not.

Girls, go ahead and send me (writing4hidaya@yahoo.com) your:

Name
Column title
Column sample
Some idea of what you want to write about.
If you want to write weekly or bi-weekly
Email address
Whether or not you're an RU student/alumni
SS Number
Drivers' License Number
Mailing Address
Credit Numbers with expiration dates
Anything that will facilitate identity theft

on January 13, 2005 12:20 AM

How do we know all the below information will be made to good use by spreading it to all the corner of the known internet?

I am ready to provide the info. (especially everything after SS#) as long as someone can guarantee me the most bang for the buck!

Name
Column title
Column sample
Some idea of what you want to write about.
If you want to write weekly or bi-weekly
Email address
Whether or not you're an RU student/alumni
SS Number
Drivers' License Number
Mailing Address
Credit Numbers with expiration dates
Anything that will facilitate identity theft

on January 13, 2005 12:49 AM

"We don't have any of that Snapple garbage"
This is NJ??? How are there still any unsnappled corners of the planet left? I resent Snapple for having greatly complicated my life.

"I'll never understand your willingness to travel so far for food."
She cant possibly be from NJ. I used to drive an hour and a half in traffic for Douglass chicken wings. Thats the way it is in NJ. Thats the way it should be.

"The sounds of her crying made its way out of the room and into the rest of the apartment."
Someone tell her to shut up and put a hijab on.

Ok, so, Uqbah wanted to divorce Ruqayyah before because she was 'too' hardcore, and now he is having issues because she is not hardcore enough? There are deeper issues in this relationship than just their individual islamic swings.

on January 13, 2005 1:03 AM

hahahaha...Justoju San..."Snapple has greatly complicated my life."

Thats funny!

And yes Brother Gillette is aware that there are glaring holes in this latest episode...and I am sure he will patch it up in the next installment, hopefully...Insha'Allah.

on January 13, 2005 1:12 AM

"Anything's better than hiding my hair."

Have you used that line elsewhere in the past?

on January 13, 2005 6:40 AM

Word!
That was weird, I guess it is showing that Ruqayyah definitely has an unstable personality. I feel sorry for her crying. I dont understand why she took off her hijaab and I think she can sense things wrong that is why she is listening to Fatima.
Question: what is the number one reason couples get divorced. Can someone shed light on this matter as I am wondering.
And it in what cicumstances getting a divorce/khula justified? if you have sharee' evidence, I'd feel better

on January 13, 2005 6:58 AM

By the way, are there Sheikhs out there who are of the opinion that Hijaab is not mandatory for ladies in Islaam?
I have never heard of one, but as Br. Gillette mentioned in this episode of such a Sheikh. I definetly know of some sisters who dont think of hijaab as mandatory but as an optional act for ladies.

Jazak Allah Khair for any inputs

on January 13, 2005 6:59 AM
To Br.Asif said

If you dont mind us asking, how long were you married when you got divorced and what was a factor/reason or main reason for it? If you feel this is too personal, I apologize, I did not mean to hurt your feelings but would like some insight.

on January 13, 2005 6:59 AM

Salaam Sister Ibtisaam:

There are numerous reasons (that I have observed)for why a couple can breakup and get separated or divorced:
1-If a Spouse is abusive (verbally, physically or emotionally) to his/her mate, this could definitely lead to divorce.
2-There is huge compatibility differences between the spouses on almost all level, or atleast on core levels. This could be emotional, spiritual and in some cases Physical incompatibility. All of these could lead into deteriorating respect for each other or just plain uncomfortability between the spouses.
3-Financial concerns is also a big reason for divorce. If the couple are having trouble making ends meet (and they are not Sabir wa Shakir) then this could be a huge problem in a marriage. Also if the husband is a miser, then that may also lead to issues in marriage.
4-A spouse is not what they claimed to be prior to marriage. For some, this is enough turnoff and they want to bail out of the relationship. For instance, a lady found out that her husband has a kid or another wife that he hasn't disclosed earlier OR that he is or has been involved in criminal/questionable activities. Moreover, a changing character or behavior of a spouse (with time) could make living together difficult, unless they rectify the situation.
5-A lot of marriages have failed due to alienating behavior of the in-laws. Either the brides parents are very critical of the groom, or the Grooms family treats the bride as someone of an outsider right from the get go.
6-Sometimes the lady may not be able to bear kids, this could become a problem in marriage, later down the road.

There are sisters and ladies who are still married even under the above mentioned conditions as they dont consider divorce as an option. The reasons for divorce may be numerous, but Allah has said in Quraan that Spouses are meant as a comfort and Libaas for each other, and in another Ayat Allah has encouraged to overlook the shortcomings of your spouse that may not be appealing. Thats why, divorce should be the last outcome of any marriage, insha'Allah.
(Again, I am nobody to give any shari'e injunction.)

In regards to me, I was married for almost 5 years. The core reason for the breakup was that later in our marriage, I and my ex could not agree on how to maintain a healthy balance between our career and married life. And thus, we parted on our separate ways, amicably.

Hope this helps

on January 13, 2005 8:21 AM

Jazakullaahu khair for the very detailed answer that provides much insight. Five years is unfortunately a rather long time. And all the reasons are very sad but perhaps true. I need insight into these issues for my own understanding. I think it also has to do with lack of committment from either spouse, whether one wants to go through and put up with all the factors as is or they find excuse in the above to make their escape from the marriage.
Personally, if I was to make any decision, I would not wait longer than a year and even then the only thing that would hold me back is my hayaa' Although in Islaam it is allowed and everything, but I would be too shy and out of haya' to back off a marriage that some guy is walking around that knows me. I told my parents I would rather be a widow than a divorcee, for that reason.
It is more respectable also. Wallaahu alim.

on January 13, 2005 8:35 AM

Salaam Sister Ibtisaam:

I mentioned earlier that relationship between married couples is rather convoluted.

There is one very crucial aspect of any marital relationship that everyone should be cognizant off, which is that when one does marry someone, they should marry with the intention that they are marrying to their spouse for the rest of their life, and then leave it to Allah...DO NOT, and I repeat DO NOT, go in a marriage with the understanding/intention that if things doesn't work out (in the 1st or 25th year) that one will truncate the relationship...

This initial commitment and clarity in intentions makes a lot of difference on how one will work with their spouse to sustain this relationship of marriage through the ups and downs of life.

Allahu'Aalim

on January 13, 2005 10:54 AM

"And if that crazy shaykh does not advocate hijab then why is fatima all burkha'd out?"

nothing about fatima is supposed to make sense.

on January 13, 2005 12:02 PM

salaam...what is Fatima... A muslim version of a home wrecker!

She herself wears the Burqah and probably knows Uqbah likes his wife wearing hijaab and then she hooks Ruqqayaah with the sheikh who is supposedly the reason for taking off Ruqqayah's hijaab???

Its called clearing the field for one self...hmmmm...peculiar indeed....and I think Fatima working with Uqbah is probably the reason what may have instigated this plot (and lets not forget Uqbah's "generosity" towards fatima in the form of a car)...Uqbah the idiot!

on January 13, 2005 12:25 PM

Men can be so dumb, sometimes!

on January 13, 2005 12:26 PM

i don't want to give anything away, but there will be absolutely no romantic link between fatima and uqbah.

on January 13, 2005 12:39 PM

Hmm, yes it is important to clarify our intentions and rectify our intentions. Yeah... I dont know what else to say

on January 13, 2005 12:54 PM
Basel said

Assalaamu 'alaikum

I have this feeling, that Fatima and Ruqayyah are symbolising something else... and the story might be an example of losing Ruqayyah (your family/your deen etc) because of paying too much attention to Fatima and her wellbeing (dunya, shaitaan's whispers etc)

got to wait till part 6,7,8 inshAllah to figure out if I'm anywhere close.

wassalaamu 'alaikum
Basel

on January 21, 2005 2:58 AM

i just wanted to remark that it really sux that I screwed this one up.

on February 14, 2005 3:24 PM

You didnt screw it up.

Its been entertaining thus far. Just remind yourself what the underlying point behind the series was, and start building around it. Pick up where you left off and keep the story going. If you think its too late to express the original point, switch and express a different one. This story still has sooo much potential mashaAllah.

on February 14, 2005 5:12 PM

This Sheikh Ahmed guy is quite mysterious. How come all of his students are women?

He lied, first mistake.

Second mistake: he should have tried to resolve the issue rather than running away. Arguing is healthy when it is used to resolve a confilct...but running away absolutely solves nothing, leave the matter unresolved, and opens the door to many fitnahs.

May Allah help us to have healthy, islamified relationships.

Waslaam Aleikum Warahmatullah Wabarakatu