« surrender? | Main | crax in the wall »
January 24, 2005
it weighs heavily

by Gillette aka Hassan[uddin] Khaja

sometimes my riyaa comes down on my shoulders like a great boulder
that is so heavy that it forces me down into sajdah
and forces tears from me
that wet the musalla so much
that the people can see

sometimes my riyaa is like a sudden rush of energy
that comes whenever they walk by
so i slow
down
my fingers of dhikr, while their eyes form a wall around me
and i leave permanent imprints in the musalla so heavy
that the people can see

allah (ta'ala) doesn't tire
like i do after isha in qiyaam
to the point where my feet swell
from carrying the burden of riyaa on my neck
and it burns in my body
so much that i keel over into prostration so
that the people can see

give me my rug and my beads
so i can mimic the false dhaakir
and recite subhaanallah so loud
that i wake the dead and the sleepy so
that the people can see

Salaam...pardon my interruption...but this posting is supposed to be about riyaa but the posting itself shows a reflection of the author's RIYAA....I am sure the author didn't intended that to be the case but it comes out as such...As there is no disclaimer, i am assuming that the author is the subject of the article.

on January 26, 2005 9:56 AM
Humayun said

Salaam

Ummm.... I believe this was the whole notion the author was trying to get across..... it's a poem and hes trying to show how people show off when talking about their riya.....

ITS A POEM for crying out loud!
---- (jus kidding with the sarcasm)

I recommend "20 ways to show off" by Salman Al-Awdah

you can get it at www.islamicawakening.com

on January 26, 2005 10:08 PM

Jazak Allah Khair...thanks for recommending the book brother...I havent had the pleasure of reading it, and neither do I plan to...thanks anyways.

..and about my riya comment...the part about crying (tears flowing) in front of Allah can never be for Riya, as a sincere heart that melts will do it only when no one can see him or her...or atleast he/she will make effort not be seen as sheading tears in front of Allah...point being that I havent seen someone who cries in front of Allah just to show off or commit riya...this is like an oxymoron...is that term applicable here...anyways, maybe I am naive.

on January 27, 2005 12:27 AM

...and where are the rest of the writers??? Brother Gillette has posted 2 articles in a row while the rest are roosting who knows where...come on folks, lets get the literary juices flowing through your finger tips, Insha'Allah...I miss Brother Rami's posting...Insha'Allah whence he returns back from Hajj-Mabroor he will enlighten all of us with his literary experience/expertise...looking forward to that.

on January 27, 2005 12:35 AM

"I havent seen someone who cries in front of Allah just to show off or commit riya"

Since riyaa is something that is between a person and his Rabb, a spectator would never know if/when it was being committed...not that it should matter much to the spectator anyway since his/her job is to give benefit of the doubt and think better of others than he/she thinks of him/herself.

on January 27, 2005 5:57 AM

favorite line (though it doesnt inspire much happiness in me):

"and recite subhaanallah so loud
that i wake the dead and the sleepy so
that the people can see"

on January 27, 2005 7:08 AM
Donald Duck said

Salams to all,
Riyaa is shirk, whether it is done consciously or subconsciously. Shirk is the worst form of sin!!!
hence any efforts to make our societies aware of it is not a bad thing, and yes... Allah(SWT) has told us not to be arrogant and to talk in low voices. ( check surah Luqman).

on January 28, 2005 6:05 PM

"As there is no disclaimer, i am assuming that the author is the subject of the article"

quite a lofty assumption, isn't it?

and "the evil of craving for wealth and status" is a wonderful book on the topic of showing off:

it also addresses seeking status through showing off one's "piety."

on January 29, 2005 12:10 AM

Excellent MashAllah...The sweetness of sincerity can never match the restlessness of Riyaa.

May ALLAH give us sincere Imaan.

Ameen.

Was Salaam

on January 29, 2005 7:14 AM
Donald Duck said

As Salamualaikum
brother gillette is not far from the truth, i guess. khushoo should be first and foremost in the heart , and then in the body. even the sahabah were aware of this. for more info go to (islam-qa.com ...and check in articles... in 33 ways of developing khushoo in salat).
instead of squabbling with the guy about the intentions efforts,its better to be grateful for his efforts and becoming more friendly. after all, unity amongst Muslims is not a sign of weakness. and i think our beloved Prophet (S.W.) did tell his people be kind and tender hearted with each other.
Ameen