« Sense itů | Main | The Young, Single, and the Restless »
February 2, 2005
sometimes

by Gillette aka Hassan[uddin] Khaja

sometimes i do this to scare them away
so i'm not tempted by my vain desire
to please them while they look on
with their eyes wide open so they watch me
and get distracted from the mushaf

i drive the women wild
there's nothing sexier than a brother
who walks with kibr
and shows off his eman for all the world to see
maybe they'll swoon over me
and even feed my kibr and forget AlMutakabbir

i want to be recognized for
all the good deeds that i've done
and the status i've aimed to achieve
in front of everyone
except my lord
give me praise and power
so that all can see
and that's what i deserve

sometimes
i'm afraid i'll come off as
someone of kibr
what are they thinking?
what am i thinking?
why must i pick between me and my lord?

This came a the right time.I needed that.JazakAllah.

Duas.

Wss Salaam

on February 2, 2005 12:18 PM
al-emir said

Bro, just shut up... one time you mention the name/title of All-h "al-mutakabbir", and second you rambling on your sexiness. Please be original and don't carry a fake personality. If you really had taqwa as you claim, "sexiness" would be the LAST thing you'd be thinking about. After all someone once said:
"the longer the beard the more the Taqwa", and that bill DEFINETLY doesn't fit the Rutgers Mullas.

on February 2, 2005 1:37 PM
al-emir said

To add to the previous post of mine, if you guys are REALLY a constructive-think tank, as you claim to be, then let my previous post stay posted and don't take it off. I've seen so called "offensive" posts been taken down, just coz they are contrary to what you want to read/hear.

-May HE guide you and me
S/a

on February 2, 2005 1:39 PM

Awww man, this was going to be the topic of a Reflections piece...

I think most of the time I really care more about whether I 'look' arrogant than whether I actually AM being arrogant. Its sad. And you know, the second you start worrying about whether you 'look' arrogant, thats actually your own arrogance talking.

"why must i pick between me and my lord?"

...the essence of surrender...

on February 2, 2005 2:45 PM

Br. Emir,

I am a little confused. Br. Gillette was merely writing about the human condition of riyaa and lack of ikhlas before Allah. Its a HUMAN nafsanic condition and so deserves to be written about. Talking about it is constructive because it helps us see the diseases that might be lurking within our hearts, thus enabling us to inshaAllah do something about them. Poems are an artistic expression of a point and may or may not be reflective of the poet's haal. They are usually mutually exclusive and inferences cant be made by taking points from diff. poems and adding them up. Please give br. Gillette the benefit of the doubt.

I find the contrast between talk of self-sexiness and then the shift to mention of Al-Mutakabbir to be quite striking. Excellent juxtaposition mashaAllah.

May He guide us all. InshaAllah and Amin.

on February 2, 2005 2:57 PM

"If you really had taqwa as you claim..."

please point out where i made this claim.

"'the longer the beard the more the Taqwa'"

so...brothers who have more than one fist length have greater taqwa than Ibn Umar? right...

"I've seen so called 'offensive' posts been taken down, just coz they are contrary to what you want to read/hear."

speaking as someone whose articles/comics/work have been taken down the most often, certain posts (comments and otherwise) are taken down because they run contrary to the goals of the people running this website. they know the potential of the internet, both to do good and bad. they want to nip certain problems in the bud before they realize their full potential.

on February 2, 2005 4:31 PM
Mohammed Irfan Shariff said

sayin it so well Khaja, indeed not being humble and modest is a poison that leads to destruction. i love the levels of writing that expose, esepcially since you are to vary such perspectives of your pieces from positive to negative. Indeed this is a piece to reflect on. JazakumAllahchar, and brother "el emir" there is no need tell Hassan to "shut-up" esepcially when the only way we can understand one another is through communication

on February 2, 2005 8:17 PM

Yikes, I think the poem is being taken literally here. Very problematic!

Emir, we are all Muslims. If you find something offensive about Hassan's poem, please do advise him. But to tell him to "shut up and stop being fake" doesn't help the situation. There is certain adab involved when giving advice and as Muslims, we need to follow that adab. Allah SWT is witness that I have disagreed with Hassan's ways more than once but he is still my brother in Islam as he is yours. Please keep that in mind always.

This poem, or so I think, was intended to make us aware of our dual nature. There is a part of us that yearns for the divine and there is a part of us that yearns for this world i.e. our nafs. Everyday we do certain acts and but what is our motivation for doing them? Why do we study, eat, sleep etc? If the answer is not "For the sake of Allah" or somehow related to that, then our actions are worthless at best and kibr at worst. We all choose everyday why we do what we do. A part of us, which is our bestial nature, wants to do things to impress others, to look good in front of others and to feel proud. Another part of us, which is our celestial nature, wants to do things solely for the sake of Allah. Whether or not we are willing to admit it and face it as candidly as Hassan is, the bestial nature is within all of us. We must make the choice between our nafs and our lord everyday and this choice will ultimately decide our fate in the hereafter.

Wasalam

on February 3, 2005 12:51 PM
Donald Duck said

Assalamualaikum Wa Rahmatullah
Brother Faisal has described the things needed to be said quite well. I agree with him, and hope that Allah (SW) may Forgive us for any errors; and may He Guide us to the Right Path.
I also want to mention a quote here by an Amir (the enthusiastic good smurf after Papa Smurf): " People that matter don't mind; and people that mind don't matter." I aint trying to degrade any brother or sister, because the Prophet (SW) said that there is recopmense from Allah if we are kind with all living things. ( check Bukhari and Muslim) Hence all you brothers and sisters and living creatures ( except the enemies of Allah) out there
there .... Salamualaikum wa Rahmatullah

on February 4, 2005 3:34 PM
irfy said

its funny how "donal duck" only said something because "el amir" told him to

on February 6, 2005 10:58 PM
Donald Duck said

As Salamualaikum wa Rahmatullah
Nobody told me to say anything. I chose to say it and said it thanks to Allah.
JazakAllah

on February 7, 2005 12:35 AM
saleem said

good poem. very introspective. i also agree with justoju's statement:

"Arrogance, once established, develops its own mechanisms to preserve and hide itself from its owner."

on March 1, 2005 10:11 PM
Donald Duck said

Assalamualaikum wa Rahmatullah
Arrogance leads to shirk and shirk is the worst of crimes. The Prophet (S.M.), said that a person will not be able to enter Jannah even with a grain of arrogance.( for proper quotes please check Sahi Al Bukhari and Sahi Muslim). Its about time that we Muslims started paying closer attention to our aqeedah. The rest will follow smoothly InshAllah.
JazakAllah