« Says who? | Main | Tonight »
March 2, 2005
good riddance

by Gillette aka Hassan[uddin] Khaja

tonight i rendezvous with nazia
or nashita
tell the others that i used to do more
and prayed extensively in secret
with rijaa
that they'd walk in on me
or my beautiful voice would seap
through the crax in the wall
so they could hear my beautiful voice
like that beautiful voice told me
when it told me to recite right when people are near
and speed it up when they were not
the length of this interval tortures me
between the death of my heart
and the death of my body
the man without a heart
is like mughith without barirah
the heart is from completeness of man
and so are his wives
no man is complete while he lives two lives
one of the sincere and one of the raa'oon
and so i beautify myself for nazia

Salaam Akhi:

So what do you think about the "Fiqh of love" by Sheikh Birjas? I am assuming you have taken it. I personally think that this specific class is pretty good. Probably, a worthwhile investment for singles as well as married couples, Insha'Allah,

on March 2, 2005 9:50 AM
saleem said

good poem

on March 2, 2005 4:44 PM

Akhi: There is Comfort after Tiredness...an exchange of Good news with a Bad one...and there is Hope after Despair...always for us muslims, Insha'Allah!

If I were you, I would jump for the opportunity. There is much good in being patience versus being disheartened. Who knows, you will be pleasantly surprised, soon enough, with a Glad Tidings coming your way...Ameen

on March 2, 2005 4:48 PM

This is great, but completely unrelated:

"Umm Zaid has a great entry on Progressive Islam.

Since I was contemplating what reformist movements mean to traditional Islam, I was fascinated by this movement early on. This group has had their fair share of attention on NPR.

Omid Safi, author of 'Progressive Muslims: On Justice, Gender, and Pluralism', is one of the proponents of this new philosophy.

After hearing him, I realize why this movement has not been as successful as they desire. I really don't think 'Progressive Muslims' know who they are.

Mr Safi's book seems to be a collection of essays from people who may not agree with one another at all. The very founding of this movement is based off of pluralism. Pluralism can be taken to different extents, but by it's very nature impairs the ability to convey a focused message. It's difficult to rally people behind your cause, when your core belief is to simply accept -everything-!

The only comparison I can make to this movement is that of the reformist Jews who turned Judaism from faith into a racial identity. 'Progressive Muslims' are removing any meaning behind being 'Muslim', and simply replacing it with a cultural identity (specifically the identity of second/third generation Muslims in America).

Iím waiting for this progressive Islamic movement to grow up and acknowledge that there are aspects to Islam which -are- inflexible. The Quíran is a timeless book, its pages are not changing, and its importance or relevance is not fading. If you canít even believe that, then why cling to the title of Muslim? Itís not so popular to be one anyway"

on March 2, 2005 8:47 PM
a reader said

"the length of this interval tortures me
between the death of my heart
and the death of my body"

MashaAllah, these lines are absolutely amazing.

It's terrifying how often I hear people actually voice these sentiments; and what's even more terrifying is that they're oblivious to the fact that their hearts have died. subhanallah. ghuroor.

Isn't there a hadeeth that mentions a man who will pass a grave and wish to be in his brother's place?

on March 3, 2005 5:30 AM

Bukhari, Volume 9, Book 88, Number 237:
Narrated Abu Huraira:

Allah's Apostle said, "The Hour will not be established ...(10) till a man when passing by a grave of someone will say, 'Would that I were in his place'..."

on March 3, 2005 2:47 PM

Salaam Everyone!

J U M M A H --- M U B A R I K !!!

May the Blessings and Mercy of Allah shower down on each one of you, your family and loved ones...Ameen

on March 4, 2005 1:13 PM
Donald Duck said

Assalamualaikum Wa Rahmatullah,
Nice comments brother asif, May Allah (SW) Bless you and Raise your position in this Earth and on the Day of Judgment. Yes, life is a test, lest we forget. And i loved this poem, May Allah increase brother hasan's Emaan and Taqwa, and May Allah make brother Hasan practise what he preaches. After reading this poem, i dont think i d ever want to lead a jammah prayer again.br. Hasan, i hope to get an answer from you.
Jazak Allah khair

on March 4, 2005 5:17 PM
Shareef Jihad said

TEKBIIR Akhi!

Hamdulillah Email me tho i wanna speak with you shareefjihad@aol.com

on March 31, 2005 11:06 PM
Donald Duck said

Assalamualikum
May Allah Talah Bless br. Hasan for this good poem.All our deeds become nullified if they are not sincerely for Allah Talah's sake; and He is the One to Judge us all. Always keep me in your dowa brother Hasan.
Salamualaikum

on April 24, 2005 8:24 PM

Abu Saeed reported that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) came to us while we were discussing about Dajjal and said, "Should I not inform you of that which I fear for you even more than the dangers of Dajjal? It is the hidden Shirk (Riya); A person stands to pray, and he beautifies his prayer because he sees the people looking at him." (Sunan Ibn Majah vol. 2, #3389)

on May 21, 2005 1:12 PM