« You Promised to Post: Screwtape on Small Sins | Main | Tawakkul & Tea - Part V »
May 4, 2005
HidayaOffline:
Majlis AlHidayaOnline.com

by Talal Sarwani

Assalaamu alaikum wa rahmatullaahi wa barakatuhu,

An idea was expressed in a recent comment about holding some kind of Hidaya get-together in the near future. InshaAllah, I thought I'd make the official call to people:

1) Do you, the readers, writers, and noisemakers of Hidaya, want to have some sort of a meetup with your fellow Hidayans?
2) If so, let's have some ideas on how to make this a unique and effective event... something we can call HidayaOffline :D.

InshaAllah there's no doubt that the event will be completely and absolutely segragated... we aim to tread on the path of Righteousness here on Hidaya, and inshaAllah we intend to continue that in our offline embodiment as well.

So, the real purpose of this post is two-fold... reply with whether or not you think you wanna have this (and this goes out to EVERYONE. All the READERS, all the WRITERS, and ALL THE NOISEMAKERS). The other intent is for this to serve as a brainstorming session on how to make the event/weekend a memorable one inshaAllah.

One idea to get you started is to hold this during the New Jersey Da'wah Conference (http://njdawah.org). It will be going on from May 27th-30th, and the cost is pretty reasonable, with the conference and 3 nights hotel stay being around $90.

Let's see what ya got...

jazaakumAllah khair
wa alaikum as salaam wa rahmatullaahi wa barakatuhu,
Talal

talal, if you get the urge to, say, reschedule because some brother(s) or sister(s) might be taking the almaghrib class in college park because maybe, possibly, he/she/they might be going to india when it's taught in NB, feel free to submit to your urges.

on May 4, 2005 10:56 AM

I propose having it near rutgers. Everyone can come that way.

PS What about the old skool people such as sister seeker, brother Ibn Muzffar etc?

on May 4, 2005 12:26 PM

I cant make it to the dawah conference so I would prefer a diff. weekend.

I am leaving to go study in the mideast in June so as long as it happens before that, its cool.

on May 4, 2005 11:59 PM

Hmm... I guess then it looks like it's better to have something sooner and something that's not as much of a time commitment as NJ Da'wah.

aight.. let the ideas flow then inshaAllah.

on May 5, 2005 12:27 AM

Alright...what dates are we looking at then? If it is on weekend, then would it be a 1 day affair or two? Also, I have some ideas about what we could be doing together...But I will leave it to you young folks.

on May 5, 2005 1:09 AM

I think it would be best to have it as a one day thing but for the whole day. Also, some of us will be in India attending weddings, some of us will be in Pakistan getting married (hint hint) while others will be visiting family. The sooner this is done the better inshallah because many people won't be around later in the summer. I suggest we have it on the weekend of the 21st and 22nd.

This is for brother Asif,

Let us know about yourself a little bit before we meet you. You refer to us as young folk when I was under the impression that you were a college student yourself. Where are you from, what do you do? Details please...

on May 5, 2005 9:36 AM

I might have attended if it were abit nearer...o well

Was Salaam

on May 5, 2005 11:14 AM

Br. Faisal, since you asked specifically: I work and live in Silicon Valley as a Senior Manager for Training department within Nikon (a Japanese company).
I am rather old, 33 years in the making, a divorcee, and live with my cats (Chili&Pepper). I am originally from Pakistan but have lived significant part of my life in Nigeria and now in US….Well, that’s some personal tid-bit for everyone.

Br. Talal, regarding the Hidayaonline "offline-meet" in NJ, I think I can volunteer to present some training tools and aids that will benefit each and everyone who can participate in this.

I am thinking of class exercises, some of them are on individual level and some are group activities. Most of them are based on what is taught in high level seminars and training programs geared towards corporate America. But I have found benefits in the seminars and would like to impart few learning’s off them.

Perhaps 2-3 activities will sum it up and each may take up to 45minutes - 1 hour.

Let me know if this is something you guys may be interested in.

By the way, as far as I am concerned, the sisters (if equipped with hijaab and niqaab) can also participate, no different then as in Almaghrib-Classes; sisters can sit in the back and brothers in front.

Let me know what you guys think...insha'Allah.

asif

on May 5, 2005 3:50 PM

I am intrigued...

Brother Asif, what do you mean by training tools and aids? Wha exactly will we learn?

on May 5, 2005 6:28 PM

Well, there are several aids&tools. For instance, there could be handouts and some may be a stack of special cards with different "things" on it which will help determine each partcipant a lot more about themselves as an individual and or team player.

A group activity could be where everyone involved would know how to negotiate and so on.

All in all, the 3 themes that I was thinking of were as follows:

1- Some Problem Analysis and Decision making exercise.
2- Get to know yourself & how others see you.
3- Negotiating successfully.

As I said, there are several tools to achieve the above, but depending on the setup of the venue and how many folks do attend we can adapt as we go along.

OR...we can forget about the whole thing that I suggested and just all hang out and eat Tandoori Chicken, Ras Malaai & Basboosah!!!!

Either way is fine with me...to meet you guys shall be enough of a reason for me...Alhamdulillah!

on May 5, 2005 8:16 PM

very cool,
let me know when this thing gets headway. Justajoe, are you getting married in May or something :) and then going to study Islaam abroad in june, ma shaa Allaah.
Congratulations Br.Faisal

I am gonna try to come but I probably wont be able to make it to the training seminar. Too bad it is not during the NJ weekend, then I could do both things at the same time, attend a conference, and attend Hidayaoffline stuff, walhamdulillaah.

on May 5, 2005 8:52 PM

Sr. Ibtisam- good guess, but nope.

on May 6, 2005 4:43 AM

Don't congratulate me yet. I just don't know when I am getting married. My dad wants to eat the Pakistani mangos but he is dreading the summer heat.

Brother Asif, I think your company is enough reason for us but hey if we learn something new, whats the harm?

on May 6, 2005 9:19 AM

*** J U M M A H - M U B A R I K ***

Br. Faisal: By the way, thw largest producer of mango crop (in a given year) is Mexico, so your father can get some Mexican mangoes till he goes to Pakistan.

Also, in regards to the offline meet. I think the original idea was to get together and know some more about ourselves, more like networking in corporate terms. I am not sure what other activities were suggested/proposed by Br. Talal and others for that day. Perhaps, we can just do a casual meet for now and define more elaborate meet for next time (just a suggestion).

However, if we do go with some activities during this meet I think we should not make it overly complicated. As far as dates are concerned, the weekend of 28-29 would be preferred by me, but the weekend of 21-22 is also fine...Insha'Allah

on May 6, 2005 10:59 AM

Asalaam Aleikum Warahmatullah Wabarkatu,

I will make the chai, insha Allah.

Sr. Bint abdul Khaliq, Your writings are such a huge part of Hidaya and very inspiring that I believe it will be a huge loss on the sister's side not to have you there. Insha Allah, parhaps one day we will all show up in South Africa for world cup 2010 or a trip through the Kalahari. Perhaps Sr. Justoju could stop by south Africa on her journey to the Middle East (which I hope she gains much knowledge from insha Allah).

Wasalaam Aleikum Warahmatullah Wabarakatu

on May 6, 2005 3:39 PM

wow. That is the beauty of the internet mashallah. I didn't even realize that Bint Abdul Khaliq and Brother Asif were both so far away from us yet so much part of our hidaya family.

I love you both for the sake of Allah. In fact, I love all of Hidaya.

on May 6, 2005 4:23 PM

As Salamu Alaikum

I would have loved meeting my fellow Hidaya sisters,but it's a small world,so perhaps one day we might bump into each other somewhere Insha Allah..

Sis Justoju May Allah make your journey a beneficial one insha Allah.Ameen

Was Salaam

on May 6, 2005 4:27 PM

InshaAllah I think that the first edition of HidayaOffline will indeed be a casual get-together for the Hidayans...
It will also end up being sooner than the weekend of the 27th, as lotsa people are leaving to party abroad.

May Allah reward you all for what you have brought to the World Wide Web. Ameen.

So umm... let's get suggestions for places to meet then...

on May 6, 2005 4:34 PM

Personally the 29th of may would be good because I have to go to a place in NJ anyway, Ihope it will be convenient for the other hidayans?

Sr. Bint Abdul Khaaliq, we are indeed going to miss you, but it really is a small world and someday you might be able to come here or we might be able to visit South Africa, it is a beautiful nation with lots of greenery and lots of gold.

Sr.Justajoe, may Allaah bless your journey of gaining sacred knowledge, where are you going by the way in the mideast?

on May 6, 2005 9:16 PM

As Salaamu alaikum

"InshaAllah Sister Bint Abdul Khaliq... this is just step one. The day will inshaAllah come for a giant HidayaOffline event, where each of you Master Hidayites will get a personal (round-trip ticket included) invitation (mahrams/significant others/etc... included in said package)."

nothing is impossible,so one day Insha Allah

Sr Ibtisam Jazakillah,I wish i could have met you too.I have visited America(Florida)a few years back,but that was just for a week.To all the sisters,remember if you around S.A at any time plz do feel free to get in touch.

Was salaam

on May 7, 2005 7:36 AM

Hey man what happened? All the fervor surrounding this meeting has died down? When is this going to happen? Email us Talal!

Also, I would like to propose that we should have a Hidaya newsletter where we can be updated about the contents of hidayaonline

on May 10, 2005 6:38 PM

Contemplation for those who in thirst of thought-food:

SOHO-EIT took have pictures of the sun's "Eruptive prominence of the week."

Check out how big it is compared to the Earth.

Wasalaam Aleikum Warahamatullah Wabarakatu

on May 10, 2005 8:26 PM

So nobody found that pictue above to be a "SubhanAllah" kind of thing? It does not quirk anyones curiosity or conscience that a solar sneeze is so humungously larger than the planet Earth? Did anyone actually wonder how bid the sn actually was? Should it not make you ponder of how vast Allah's creation is?!? Well??

Think of how many billions of more suns there are out there...many of which are much larger than our sun.

A black holw is even more gigantic than suns/stars. They are so huge that their gravity sucks everything in...including light.

Even check out galaxies. Millions of stars put together. We could'nt even imagine the size if we wanted to. Yet al this was made by a simple 'Be'and it 'is' from Allah Subhanna Wa taala.

Here is video of the solar eruptive prominence if you want to check it out on video

Wasalaam Aleikum Warahmatullah Wabarakatu

on May 12, 2005 2:49 AM

Assalaamu Alaikum:

Brother Rami this "astrophysics" stuff is something that I dig...deep, so to say.

One clarification, the Blackhole is usually in the center of a spiral galaxy, like our own galaxy, the milky way. But the actual size of a blackhole is not bigger than that of a galaxy by no means. Also, scientist are discovering more and more blackholes all around then previously thought.

Recently they captured, for the 1st time, a formation of a black hole when two Neutron Stars collided together. Neutron stars are very dense stars in that they are mostly made up of Neutrons. Imagine the size of our sun and all that it is made up off, packed together to the size of a city..that is how small (yet very dense) a Neutron star is. They are so heavy and packed that a spoon of neutron star on earth will weigh billion of tons.

The blackhole when formed after the collision of two neutron stars becomes even more compacted or denser that there is nothing in the known universe which has as much gravitational pull as a black hole. Becasue of this extreme gravitational pull even light cannot escape the black hole.

Fascinating stuff...

on May 12, 2005 9:27 AM

Did hidaya folks have this get together? How'd it go?

on April 8, 2006 7:28 PM