« Tawakkul & Tea - Part V | Main | The Ta Marbootas
A Word or Two

by Bint Abdul Khaliq

A word or two
A slip of the tongue
and friendships dwindle
A word misplaced
and a grudge does kindle

An angry word
so easy to say
A tornado in motion
destroying all in it's way

A word of disrespect
an 'oof' to your mother
Condemned by who?
The Exhalted Creator!

A word of gossip
Please pick your teeth!
The dead body of your brother
would any of you like to eat?

A word said in jest
all in the name of fun
Not realising the hurt
you've just caused someone

The wounds of words
no medicine can heal
For people forget what you said
but not how you made them feel

Those ugly words
might seem quite cool
But a true Mu'min knows
it's the words of a fool

No falsehood must he utter
No hurt must he cause
The Sunnah he'll follow
and obey Allah's laws

Our Jannah or Jahannam
Our pain or our pleasure
lies with these words
which we so carelessly utter

The value is there
The trust has been given
The call has been made
Will anyone Listen?

If I have ever offended or hurt anyone with my words or actions-knowingly or unknowingly,intentionally or unintentionally-i am asking you today to please forgive me.

May every word of ours be for Allah's pleasure alone.Ameen.

Was Salaam

on May 8, 2005 6:30 AM
Asif said

Salaam Ukhti:

Masha'Allah very nice poem...And I dont think you need to appologize to anyone, rather we should all be thankful to you for writing an excellent reminder for all of us.

Jazakum Allah Khair

on May 8, 2005 2:55 PM
saleem Safdar said

subhanallah.. beautiful poem.

on May 8, 2005 10:40 PM
Donald Duck said

Assalamualaikum Wa Rahmatullah,
My brother Hasan, may Allah Talah reward you for this very beautiful poem. Br. Hasan, I got to thank you for teaching me so many things about the Deen. I wish Allah Talah saves all of us from the Fire that we dread. For itis not easy if Allah Talah does not make it easy. It is not hard if Allah Talah makes it easy.
And please go to India in the summer, u know y I am saying this. And come and see me in..... InshAllah.

on May 9, 2005 12:54 AM

Br. Donald Duck- Umm unless I have missed something and br. Hassan likes to dress up in women's clothing and go by the name of Bint Abdul Khaliq on Sundays, I think this poem was not written by him and was written by a South African Muslimah who is very much not a male mashaAllah.

Sr. Bint AK- MashaAllah very beautiful poem. I love how it starts out by talking about the dangers of the tongue and ends with the plea to 'Listen'. Very nice juxtaposition of concepts and roles.

"For people forget what you said but not how you made them feel"

Word.

on May 9, 2005 2:34 AM

Well that reminded me...where is Brother Hassan (aka Gillette). I know its finals time, but everyone seems to be pitching in with their contributions and comments on Hidaya, except for him...I hope everything is fine with him, Insha'Allah.

Also, what happened to that story of a restaurant owner and his wife (and the new convert working in the restaurant)...did that story had an ending?

By the way, Sheikh Zaid Shakir is Masha'ALlah a very fit and healthy individual...we went for a hike with him this morning and he made us do a warmup routine which could be summed up as brutal...I dont think anyone (including all young guns and old geezers) could match his stamina and focus...and then it rained, but we went regardless...ALhamdulillah, it was overall a very nice group activity where we had about 30 folks in total and almost half of them were sisters.

on May 9, 2005 3:42 AM

Br Donald Duck,I think there must have been some mix up there with your comment.This poem was not written by Br Hassan,but myself.I hope he does get the msg though.

Was salaam
Bint Abdul Khaliq

on May 9, 2005 6:06 AM
Donald Duck said

Assalamualaikum Wa Rahmatullah
Sorry for this confusion guys. My computer is is quite deceptive at times, and I had a bad fever yesterday. I was going to comment on Br. Hasan's poem " me and you".
But this poem is also very good too, Mash Allah.
Anyway, please accept my apologies again sister from South Africa.
Jazak Allah Khair.

on May 9, 2005 11:19 AM

I've been rather busy (Talal would beg to differ). This is the first semester I've really been active at ISRU. Between coordinating Islamic Awareness Week, and the Siraj Wahhaj/Nasihah fundraiser before it in February, I've found little time to sit down and write. When I did have time, HidayaOnline.com wasn't on my mind. Writing requires thought.

Some of the writers may have seen drafts of some of my articles on the HidayaOnline.com editing page. In shaa Allah, I'll try to finish one.

on May 9, 2005 3:48 PM
sayma said

salaam mashallah dat vz a lovely poem may allah guide us all on da ryt path AMEEN
also may allah(swt)reward u 4 dis beautiful poem