« Then & Now, Episode II | Main | THE PRINCESS AND THE PAUPER »
August 16, 2005
For Once Think About Yourself

by Bint Saeed

Often times many succumb to chivalrous duty when it comes to daily interaction with individuals at home, amongst the community or online. Granted that ethical behavior is always promoted, accepted and expected; however, there is one area in which one has to rise above the crowd and think only of themselves. Being one that has grown up working in the masjid, teaching at the Sunday school and just being able to feel the eman-rush as well as sisterhood when working in organizing programs, it is difficult to have to step back and let others come forward. Logically, the mind argues that you are working for the Deen and every opportunity that comes your way you should take and run with. My Abu always said that when it comes to working for Allah (SWT), be it at the masjid, at home, at the MSA, etc, it is Allah (SWT) alone who has chosen that specific individual for reasons only known to Him (SWT), so we must show shukr for that opportunity. Mainly due to the reason that it is not something that we ourselves caused but rather it was a blessing from Allah (SWT) who thought us worthy enough to come to the forefront.

What has me thinking, or has had me thinking these past few months after having joined Hidaya with my opening piece, was that I must pick up where I left off. In other words, be who I was prior to my life changing experience and think nothing of the past. So, the past five months have resulted in my willingness, perhaps over-eagerly, to be involved in anything and everything relating to the Deen. Unfortunately, what has resulted is an overwhelming feeling that I could not and would not be able to fulfill the responsibilities taken and therefore all those opportunities which I felt would have benefited me in regards to my hasanaat would only serve to be held against me on Yawm Al-Akhir.

However, it was not only the fear of being unable to fulfill my commitments but rather it was what lay inside. Often times when we have the opportunity to sit back and relax after having contributed with our time, dua, talent, etc, to an Islamic event for the masjid, school, or any organization, we must never forget to reflect as to HOW this opportunity has changed us. If this is something that does not come to mind or we cannot answer then we must ask ourselves: What was our reason to be involved? I found myself overwhelmed with commitments in New Jersey and abroad and when I finally sat down to ask myself how I have changed I realized that I had not. More importantly it dawned upon me that my involvement mainly concerned being preoccupied in an attempt to keep my mind focused on the task at hand rather than reflect and learn from the lessons that had come my way after sharing with you all my “Surreal Life”.

The light bulb that went off was not solely my doing, rather it was family and friends who had seen the effects of my over-involvement which had them question my ability to fulfill my responsibilities. So five months later, I sit here with the answer: I know exactly why I was taking on so much work. The primary reason was to get away from the looming situation that had tested the Iman of me and family. The second reason was, to show everyone in the community that I was back and ready to take on anything. Lastly, it was to once again be with my friends and get to know others. I realized now that the real reason should have been to please Allah (SWT) so that He would help me in my current troubles. SubhanAllah! It took me so long to figure that out. Even though I had known that this should be the real reason, I knew that in my heart I felt otherwise. La Hawla Wala Quwwata Illa Billah!

I could most certainly go on but lets make the connection of all this to the title of this piece. It was truly from Allah (SWT) that I realized my shortcoming, though I wish it would have been sooner. I highly encourage those brothers and sisters who are involved in various activities to always take a moment to reflect on how contributing to such a cause has helped them, as well as to ask themselves WHY they are doing these activities. Is it for name, fame, to keep busy, to be seen as someone else or by someone else, etc? I find myself returning to Allah (SWT) and re-establishing my relationship with Him. As we are known to do we must always keep our priorities straight. The main priority should always be to connect to Allah (SWT). Sometimes we need to step back and let others move forward while we work on ourselves and our relationship with Allah (SWT) for, who knows, there might come a day that Allah (SWT) sees our efforts and blesses us with the opportunity to contribute to the unimaginable. That is what I make dua for, so let's not fear that if we were to step back it would be an opportunity missed. Yes, we can argue that I might be, however what is the reason for us to miss that opportunity and what else are we gaining? My two cents for today, you can agree or disagree, I will Insha Allah take it as nasihah.

Masha Allah sister,that was an eye opening article.I agree with you.We rather do less,but do it solely for the pleasure of Allah alone.May Allah make us of His special servants and use us for His Deen.Ameen.

Was salaam

on August 16, 2005 3:14 PM
Ayan said

(I hope this comment of mind does not get deleted accidently).
First of all, Assalamu 3laikum sister,

I agree with what you wrote, but the approach you took to do work for Islam was positive thinking on your part and uplifting yourself, certainly a worthy action.
And it is as you said, that Allah SWT assigns work to certain people, it's really and truely a blessing to do so and we should not consider this as our volunteerism or whatever.

on August 16, 2005 5:09 PM
Bint Saeed said

JazakAllahu Khayrn for both of your replies. Most certainly brother Ayan I agree that it shouldn't be considered volunteerism (now that I look at it in the light of your perpsective) it is truly and solely an opportunity granted to us by the blessings of Allah SWT.

Wasalaam Walaykum

on August 16, 2005 6:02 PM
Nadia said

Assalam u alaikum,
Mashallah, very thought-provoking article. It is so true that sometimes Allah (swt) tests His people just for the sake that they come back to Him and spend their lives for His pleasure and willingness.It is also true that He gives such an opportunity to those who He loves or has high hopes with. Sometimes trials and tribulations are blessings in disguise and show us those worlds of ourselves which were always hidden, veiled by our hard-heartedness; one jerk and the heart loses all its lead, all the tears wipe it as clean as the glistening river, which when flows, takes us with its tides, to places where all we can say is Subhanallah and AlHamdulillah. May Allah (swt) always keep looking at us with pleasure and may He never give up on His slaves, Ameen.

on August 16, 2005 9:18 PM
Bint Saeed said

NADIA!!!!!! Assalaamu Alaykum,

JazakAllahu Khayran for YOUR thought provoking reply. A few words of yours put it much better than my lengthy piece. May Allah SWT reward you always in ways you could have never imagined. Ameen! Cant wait to see ya soon;)

Wasalaam Walyakum

on August 17, 2005 4:41 PM

Hizbiyya is an effect of getting involved in an organization for the wrong reasons.

Hizbi and Hizbiyya are two terms many of us hear yet do not understand fully.

Some of us hear these words the first thing that comes to mind is either the deviant cult known as Hizbu Tahrir or the extreme fanatic heretic Shi’a terrorist faction Hizbullah or any other group ending or beginning with the word 'hizb'.

If this doesn’t come to mind than the idea that it’s another group or person somewhere far off in a distant place not relating to us immediately.

This is far from the truth and far from reality. Because some of us do not understand the meaning we may not realize that we actually may be involved in it knowingly or unknowingly…wallahul musti’aan!

Hizbiyya (partisanship) can be seen in every masjid. Whether that hizbiyya is good (being from the party of Allah - Ahlus Sunnah) or whether that hizbiyya is evil (being from one of the seventy two destroyed sects).

Hizbiyya has been defined as partisanship. I don’t like this basic definition as it leaves one thinking of political partisanship (democrats and republicans) only. This is indeed part of evil hizbiyya but lets explain it more detailed and give practical examples that relate to us directly

The term hizb is used in the Qur’an in different meanings. In the language it has two meanings:

al-Fairozabadi says in “Basa’iru dhuwit Tamyeez” : “The meaning of al-Hizb is a group having members. It is said al-Hizb is a group and al-Ahzab (as in the Qur'an) are groups who come together to fight the Prophets (alaihim salaam) likewise it can be seen in the saying of Allah ta’ala “and verily the party of Allah…” meaning the helpers of Allah.

So the two meanings are 1) those who fight or are/were in opposition to the Prophets (and inclusive in this are those who follow them) such as the disbelievers, innovators, etc. and 2) those who are from the party of Allah or the believers.

It has come in the Qur'an in the following ways:

Firstly: Various types of civilizations with differing ideologies, paths and religions. “Every hizb ( group) rejoicing in what it has”

Secondly: The army of Shaytan – “They are the hizb (army) of Shaytan”

Thirdly: The soldiers of the Most Merciful – “They are the hizb (party) of Allah”

They are the victorious ones in this world – “And verily the hizb (party) of Allah are the victorious”

And in the end they are the successful – “Are verily the party of Allah are the successful”

The following statement from the teacher Safi ar-Rahman al-Mubarakpuri really breaks it down further in his book “Parties and Politics in Islam” :

He says:

“Hizb (party) linguistically is: A category of people brought together by one comprehensive description or interest. (They may be) connected by either aqida (belief) and iman or kufr transgression and sin. Or the connection could be based on land and country, tribe or affiliation, dialect or language or anything that closely resembles any sort of connection based on descriptions and personal interests which the people are accustomed to gathering and conglomerating around"

Sheikh Ali Hasan says:

"It is of no secret to anyone with intellect that every hizb (party, ideology, schism) has for itself its own rules and thinking or internal by-laws which in some shape or form resemble the party’s constitution. Even if they do not call it by that name.”

This is in regard to a group, a masjid, a party, or even an ethnic background. Even if one does not attribute himself openly or with his mouth to the above, hizbiyya can still seep out in his actions and statements.

al-Mubarakpuri continues on by saying:

“This constitution (by-laws, rules, etc) is the root in which the group emanates from and is built upon. So who ever trusts in it (the by-laws, regulations, etc), believes truthfully in them– in other words, recognizes them and takes them as principles to work and move by – he enters into that Hizb (party, faction, ideology, etc) and becomes one of its members and possibly one of its leaders. And whoever doesn’t (agree with the rules) then he is not a part of it. So these by laws and rules are the root of ones loyalty and disavowalment, unity and disunity, its balance and its weakness.”

[al-Ahzabus Sayaasiyya fil Islam-pg 14]

Sheikh Ali Hasan says regarding Hizbiyyah:

“In light of this (the above statement) there doesn’t exist in the dunya except two hizbs (parties), the hizb of Allah and the hizb of the Shayton, those who are successful and those who are destroyed, the Muslims and the Kuffar.

So who ever enters into a hizb (groups and parties) than he has shared in the ripping apart of the party of Allah and the disunites the word of Allah. Who ever has loyalty for a portion of the party of Allah based on his loyalty to another part of it then he has stood as an adversary to the friends of Allaah and has entered himself into the authentic hadith al-Qudsi “Whoever stands in opposition with one of my friends than he has proclaimed war against me” [Bukhari]”

Islam does not prohibit being part of a group as can clearly be seen in the ayaat. What Islam does prohibit is biased partisanship (which is not based upon the Book and the Sunnah...). Those who are opposed to the party of Allah intentionally or unintentionally by establishing their own brand of Islaam and ideologies and calling to them.

We see this from the Hadith of Jabir (radi Allaahu ‘anhu)

“We went to fight with the Messenger of Allah (one day) and many people from the Muhajireen returned with him. From the Muhajireen was a man who used to play a lot so he hit one of the Ansar on his butt. The Ansar became extremely angry to the point where he began to call upon others saying “Oh those for the Ansar!, the Muhajir began to say (upon hearing the Ansar) “Oh those for the Muhajirun! The Messenger of Allah came out and said “What is this call of Jahiliyya? He was then informed of the Muhajirs hitting the Ansar and he then said “Leave it (the calls they were making) for verily it is ugly" Muslim]

Ibn Taymiyya says the following about this hadeeth: “These two names – The Muhajirun and the Ansar – are two names based in the Shari'ah. They have (both) come in the Book and the Sunnah. Allah himself called them this as He has called us Muslims.

A man attributing himself to the Muhajirun and the Ansar is a praiseworthy affiliation with Allaah and His Messenger. It is not permissible for one who intends to be known only as one who affiliates himself with a tribe our a town. Nor is it makhruh or haram such as those who affiliate themselves to that which leads to innovation and sin.

But when they began to call to their group seeking assistance with it (by using the name), the Messenger of Allah (sallallahu 'alaihi wa sallam) despised it and called it “the call of Jahiliyya (pre-Islamic times). [Iqtidaa' Siraatil Mustaqeem 1/221]

Ibn Qayyim said: “At that point the Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu 'alaihi wa sallam) explained to them that which is correct. He guided them to call upon themselves as muslims, believers, and servants of Allah, the united call as opposed to the call that divides such as fulanniyya (so and so) and fulaniyya (Maliki, Hanafi, Ashari) and Allaahu Must’aan” [Madariju Saalikeen-2/370]

He (rahimahullahu ta'ala) explains in his comments on “the call of Jaahiliyya”: “Like the call to a tribe, racism, similar to it is that of blind following of madhabs, groups, and Sheikhs. Honoring some over the other based on desires and racism. One who is affiliated to it (a group, party, masjid) calls to it, is loyal to is, disavowals for it, and weighs the people upon it. All of these are “the calls of Jahiliyya”.

This brothers and sisters is exactly what hizbiyya is and many examples of this can probably be seen with you.

We ask Allah (the one who holds the hearts of his slaves between His fingers) to turn the hearts of these people back to the Book and the Sunnah…Amin

We ask Allah The Protector to protect us from the evils of hizbiyya … Amin.

on August 17, 2005 6:24 PM
asef said

Just read this piece...

First & foremost - Alhamdulllah...Good for you...your realizaton itself is a blessing from Allah.

Secondly, I can relate to what you mentioned. I have spent quiet sometime in my "youthful" years where I would volunteer for task or operations in the masjid and be less accomodating to others leading it (for whatever reasons).

Perhaps now you may be more of a mentor to other sisters and still be closely involved in community activities. This may give u a bigger sense of satisfacton as you will be pleasing Allah by grooming others to take leadership roles & responsibilities within the community.

...more to come later.

on August 18, 2005 10:11 AM
Bint Saeed said

Assalaamu Alaykum,

JazakAllahu Khayrn for your insight. Also you made a good point about being a mentor to others however that'll come after one can firmly stand on his or her own feet in regards to the Deen and giving Nasihah to others. Allahu Alam but there's not doubt that I'd love to be a position to help out the younger sisters in the community.

Wasalam Walaykum

on August 18, 2005 11:07 AM
istishhadiyya said

Assalamu Alaikum
We ask Allah to increase us in ikhlas,
May Allah reward you all with khair for the blessed work you are doing, but you really need to wake up and smell the coffee!
i'm talking about this free mixing atmosphere you have created, which is facilitating the path to zina.

Oh you who have taken to talking to your non mahram!
Dont you fear, Allah might take your soul while you are in a state of disobedience.

I'd like to ask all the brothers and sisters to forgive me for my harsh message, i'd like to also ask you top make dua for sheikh Ali At Tamimi who recieved a very long jail sentance the other day
Allahumma fukka asrahum fi kulli makan.

Jazakmullahukhair

on August 18, 2005 11:10 AM
asef said

JazakumAllah Khairan Ukhti for the reminder.

Yes we all need to check, re-check our intentions each and everytime we write and contribute in any forum, online or offline.

I am not sure who Sheikh Ali At Tamimi is, but may Allah make it easier for him and his family in this testing times...and may Allah Bless him in abundance with Ajar for the troubles that he is going through...Ameen

on August 18, 2005 11:46 AM
Tanweer said

As-salamu 'Alaikum,

Read his statement in court:

We should all make duaa' for him.

Tanweer

on August 18, 2005 11:58 AM
asef said

I just read the 10 indictment about Sheikh Al-Tamimi that he was found guilty on.

I also read his closing arguments at the end of his sentencing...powerful words, from a man who is going through so much stress at that very time.

BUT, my thing is this...even if you set the Presidential order aside (which are the reasons for his indictment 4&5), the rest of the indictment are clearly part of the US panel codes which is applicable to everyone within US.

Only Allah knows Best, but if this brother actually did do what he was charged under the indictments, then there is not much to base any rebuttal on.

All I know is this...if the brother is innocent of the charges that he is found guilty off, ALLAH will soon find the BEST recourse for him...ameen.

on August 18, 2005 12:37 PM

AssalamuAlaikum,

Just read the article and the comments. MashaAllah, excellent point. We really get so caught up in the outward that we totally forget about the inward. We dont realize that both are inextricably dependent upon one another and both are demanded from the muslim.

Islam is the realm of the body.
Iman is the realm of the mind.
Ihsan is the realm of the heart. This is where sincerity lies.

All three need to be intact for one to have deen.

Reminds me of the following hadith...

Sahih Muslim Book 020, Number 4688:

" It has been narrated on the authority of Sulaiman b. Yasar who said:

People dispersed from around Abu Huraira, and Natil, who was from the Syrians, said to him:

O Shaikh, relate (to us) a tradition you have heard from the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him).

He said: Yes. I heard the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) say:

The first of men (whose case) will be decided on the Day of Judgement will be a man who died as a martyr. He shall be brought (before the Judgement Seat). Allah will make him recount His blessings (i. e. the blessings which He had bestowed upon him) and he will recount them (and admit having enjoyed them in his life). (Then) will Allah say: What did you do (to requite these blessings)? He will say: I fought for Thee until I died as a martyr. Allah will say: You have told a lie. You fought that you might be called a 'brave warrior.' And you were called so. (Then) orders will be passed against him and he will be dragged with his face downward and cast into Hell.

Then will be brought forward a man who acquired knowledge and imparted it (to others) and recited the Qur'an. He will be brought And Allah will make him recount His blessings and he will recount them (and admit having enjoyed them in his lifetime). Then will Allah ask: What did you do (to requite these blessings)? He will say: I acquired knowledge and disseminated it and recited the Qur'an seeking Thy pleasure. Allah will say: You have told a lie. You acquired knowledge so that you might be called 'a scholar,' and you recited the Qur'an so that it might be said:'He is a Qari' and such has been said. Then orders will be passed against him and he shall be dragged with his face downward and cast into the Fire.

Then will be brought a man whom Allah had made abundantly rich and had granted every kind of wealth. He will be brought and Allah will make him recount His blessings and he will recount them and (admit having enjoyed them in his lifetime). Allah will (then) ask: What have you done (to requite these blessings)? He will say: I spent money in every cause in which Thou wished that it should be spent. Allah will say: You are lying. You did (so) that it might be said about (You):'He is a generous fellow' and so it was said. Then will Allah pass orders and he will be dragged with his face downward and thrown into Hell. "

The following is really good:

* Imam Nawawi: The Garden of Gnostics: Sincerity (Ikhlas) and Having a Conscious Intention

* The Virtue of Ikhlas
Answered by Sayyidi Abd al-Qadir al-Jilani

* Intention, Validity & Sincerity: Important Points

*Fighting the Ego (Jihad an-Nafs)
Answered by Imam Abu Zakariyya Yahya Ibn Sharaf al-Nawawi

on August 18, 2005 1:18 PM
asef said

Ok a recommendation on commenting on any article on Hidaya...I have been meaning to suggest this for quiet sometime now.

If someone has to post evidences (such as Q&A or fatwahs or commentaries of scholars) as part of their arguments and or comments for any given topic, then please do so by attaching just the links to these resources, rather then pasting them in the body of your comment. This makes the comments awfully long and we cant give due diligence to what the commenter is converging his/her point to.

Moreover, if we have links, we can always save them as favorites and refer back to them as required.

A good example of posting links as resources to comments can be seen in the last post by ukhti Justoju...

Jazakum Allah Khair...

ma'Assalaama

on August 18, 2005 2:07 PM

The sayings have been taken from Ihyaa Uloom id-Deen of al-Ghazaalee, Mukhtasir Minhaaj il-Qaasideen of Ibn Qudaamah and Kitaab uz-Zuhd of Ibn al-Mubaarak. [TN] The author said, "I have quoted these statements without knowing their authenticity and it is allowable for a Muslim to take from what has been narrated from the Salaf without verification if the particular statement is in agreement with the Book and the Sunnah.

1. It is reported about Bishr al-Haafee that he said: That I seek the world with a wind instrument is more loved by me than that I seek it with the deen.

2. It is reported from Ibraheem an-Nakha'ee that he said: When Shaytaan comes to you whilst you are engaged in prayer and says: You are showing off, increase it in length.

3. One of the salaf said: Direct me to an action by which I will never cease to be performing for Allaah the Exalted. It was said to him: (Always) intend good because you will never cease to be performing even if you do not do any actions. The intention performs even in the absence of any actions. Whoever intended to pray at night and then slept, the reward for what he intended will be written for him.

4. One of them said: I love that I have an intention for every single thing until my food, drink and sleep.

5. It was said to Sahl: What is the hardest thing for the soul (to achieve)? He said: Sincerity, when there is no other desire in it.

6. It is reported from Ya'qoob al-Makfoof that he said: The sincere person is the one who hides his good deeds just like he hides his evil deeds.

7. One of them wrote to his brother: Make your intention sincere in all of your actions and little action will suffice you.

8. It is reported from Ayyoob as-Sakhtiyaanee that he said: Purifying the intention is harder than all other actions for those who act.

9. It is reported from Yahyaa bin Mu'aadh that he said: Ikhlaas separates (good) actions from faults like the separation of milk from dung and blood.

10. It is reported from as-Soosee that he said: What Allaah desires from the actions of His creation is Ikhlaas and nothing else.

11. It is reported from al-Junaid that he said: To Allaah belong servants who understand, and when they understand they act and when they act they make (their action) sincere. Their recalling of Ikhlaas at the time of doing righteousness is what accumulates the greatest (good for them).

12. It is reported about Hawshab that he used to cry and say: My name has reached the large mosque.2

13. It is reported from as-Soosee that he said: Ikhlaas is to lose the vision of Ikhlaas (in oneself).

14. One of them said: Whoever sees sincerity in his sincerity, his sincerity is itself in need of sincerity. The destruction of every sincere person lies in his sincerity, (he is destroyed) to the extent that he sees sincerity in himself. When he abandons seeing sincerity in himself he will be sincere and purified.

15. It is reported from Abu Uthmaan that he said: Ikhlaas is to forget the vision of creation by constantly looking at the Creator.

16. It is reported from Ibraheem bin Adham that he said: He is not truthful to Allaah who loves fame.

17. It is reported from ath-Thawree that he said: They used to hate fame and reputation due to wearing nice garments so that eyes would stretch towards them.

18. Ibn al-Jawzee reports from al-Hasan that he said: I was with Ibn al-Mubaarak one day and we came to a watering place. The people were drinking from it and Ibn al-Mubaarak came closer in order to get a drink. The people did not know him and shoved and pushed him. When he came out he said: Life is but this, meaning we are not known nor are we respected.

19. It is reported from Na'eem bin Hammaad that he said: Abdullaah ibn al-Mubaarak frequently used to sit in his house for long periods of time so it was said to him: Do you not feel lonely and isolated? He said: How can I feel isolated while I am with the Prophet (sallallaahu alayhi wasallam) .

20. It is reported from Ibn al-Mubaarak that he said: I heard Ja'far bin Hayyaan say: The foundations of these actions are the intentions. Indeed a man reaches with his intentions a position he does not reach with his actions.

21. One of the people of wisdom used to say: When a man is speaking in a gathering and his speech amazes him let be silent and when he keeps silent and his silence amazes him let him speak.

22. It is reported from Mutraf bin Abdullaah ash-Shakheer that he said: That I spend the night sleeping and wake up remorseful is more loved to me than that I spend the night standing (in prayer) and wake up in admiration.

23. It is reported from an-Nu'maan bin Qais that he said: I never saw Abeedah (rh) performing any voluntary prayers in the mosque of al-Hayy.

24. It is reported from Alee (ra) that he said: The one who shows off has three charactersistics: Heis lazy when by himself, he is lively and energetic when with others and he in creases in his actions when he is praised and decreases in them when he is criticised.

25. It is reported from Al-Hasan (rh) that he said: The one who shows off desires to overcome what Allaah has decreed for him. He is an evil person who desires to inform the people that he is righteous in order to hear what they would say. He has obtained a position of vileness and wickedness from his Lord. It is therefore essential for the hearts of the believers to recognise him.

26. It is reported from Sahl bin Abdullaah (rh) that he said: There is nothing which is tougher upon the soul than (achieving) Ikhlaas. How many times have I tried to remove riyaa' from my heart except that it sprouted in a different colour (i.e. in a different form).

27. It is reported from Ibn Mas'ood (ra) that he said: Do not learn knowledge for three (things): To amaze and confound the foolish, to argue with the learned and to make peoples faces turn towards you. (But) seek what is with Allaah with your hearts and actions, since only that will remain and whatever is besides it will go.

28. It is reported from Abu Sulaimaan ad-Daarinee (rh) that he said: Toobaa (the tree in Paradise) for the one who took a single step desiring nothing but the face of Allaah by it.

29. Some of the salaf said: Whoever had a single instance in his lifetime which was purely and sincerely for the sake of Allaah the Exalted will be saved, and this is due to the greatness of Ikhlaas.

30. It is reported from Abu Sulaimaan ad-Daarinee (rh) that he said: When the servant is sincere, riyaa' and the many whisperings (of the shayaateen) are cut off from him.

31. It has also been said: Ikhlaas is that the servants inward and outward actions are equal. Riyaa' is when the outward appearance is better than the inner self and truthfulness in one's sincerity is when the inner self is better cultivated and more flourishing than the outward appearance.

32. Some of the salaf have said: Ikhlaas is that you do not seek a witness over your action besides Allaah and nor one who gives reward besides Him.

33. It is reported from Makhool (rh) that he said: Never does a servant maintain sincerity for forty days in succession except that the streams of wisdom from his heart appear on his tongue.

33. It is reported from Adiyy ibn Haatim that he said: The people destined for the Fire will be ordered (to come) towards Paradise until they come close to it and smell its fragrance, see its palaces and what Allaah has prepared in it for its people. Then an announcement will be made (to the angels) that they be turned away from it. There will be no portion for them in it. They will return in loss and ruin just like the ones before them (who were also commanded likewise). Then they will say: O our Lord. If you had entered us into the Fire before You showed us what You have shown us from Your reward and what You have prepared for you friends and allies it would have been easier upon us. Then the Exalted will say: This is what I intended with you. When you used to be alone you would combat me (or show boldness to Me) with grave sins and when you used to meet people you would meet them with humility. You would show to the people other than that which you used to give Me from your hearts. You feared people but you did not fear Me. You honoured the people but you did not honour Me, you abandoned (actions) for the people but you did not abandon for Me. This day (therefore), will I make you taste a tormenting punishment along with your prevention from receiving that reward.

34. It has been said: The damage (caused) to every servant lies in his being pleased with himself. Whoever looks at his soul and sees something in it which he deems to be good has caused its destruction. And whoever does not suspect his soul at every single moment is one who is deceived.

35. Ibn al-Qayyim (rh) said: Ikhlaas is the Tawheed of one's wish/intent.

on August 18, 2005 11:02 PM
asef said

"I think that this was mentioned once, but someone mentioned that it's good to post articles because it'll force people to read it."

...force people to read?...hahahahaha...
Man I thought we all have already gone thru this phase in our Kindergarten and elementry schooling.

I luv you Akhi!
Keep it coming :)

on August 18, 2005 11:30 PM
Ayan said

I aint reading no articles, man.

on August 19, 2005 10:49 AM
Asef said

Salaam Everyone:

&

J U M M A H - M U B A R I K

on August 19, 2005 1:26 PM

Please someone reduce the comment deleting priviliges. I just realized that all comments on the small customs big fitnahs article are gone.

Who keeps accidentally deleting all the comments?

on August 19, 2005 8:05 PM

Heyyy....thats right....I worked hard wasting my time so that I could write that long useless comment to br. Faisal's article. Where is it?

on August 19, 2005 10:16 PM

InshaAllah fear not, for nothing has been done that wasn't meant to happen :)

on August 19, 2005 10:28 PM

thanks. I feel better now.

(so are the comments gone for good or will the editors unveil them in a grand coming out party?)

on August 19, 2005 10:35 PM

If they ever do come back, the editors will be sure to present them in a manner so grand that will put our collective walimahs and walimahs-to-be, to shame.

:D

Btw... mashaAllah awesome intention-checker, Bint Sa'eed.

on August 19, 2005 11:04 PM

Did I miss something? Were the comments inappropriate? Whats going on here? Why were they deleted?

on August 20, 2005 9:44 AM

Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim

Assalaamualaikum warahmatulahi wabarakatuhuh

“Indeed, We sent down the message [the Qur’an], and indeed, We will definitely be its protector.” [Al-Qur’an 15-9]

” The Qur’an: Beyond Desecration”
SATURDAY - SEPTEMBER 17, 2005
4:00 pm – 10:00 pm

I am pleased to invite you to attend ICNA NY Annual Conference hosted by ICNA New York at York College
Performing Arts Center Auditorium
94-20 Guy R. Brewer Blvd. Jamaica New York, 11451

ICNA is committed to uphold the sanctity of the Last Divine Guidance (Al-Qur’an) and seeks your participation to this event.

It will be my honor to welcome you there.

Mirza Shamsheer Ali Baig
President
ICNA New York

*** ICNA New York 166-26 89th Ave Jamaica NY 11432 ***
Info: 718 739 7300 / 347 200 7053

Expected Speakers
Dr. Zakir Naik (India) Keynote Address
Shaikh Muhammad al-Yaqoobi (Syria)

Confirmed Speakers
Shaikh Yusuf Islahi (India)
Sr. Amina Assilmi (USA)
Sr. Iman Badawi (USA)
Br. Yahya Emerick (USA)

Exhibition of Translations of the Qur’an
Traditional Recitations of Al Qur’an
……and much more

Come with family and friends - Admission free

Organized by ICNA New York
Info: 718 739 7300 / 347 200 7053

on August 21, 2005 3:46 PM
mohammed said

"One of them said: Whoever sees sincerity in his sincerity, his sincerity is itself in need of sincerity. The destruction of every sincere person lies in his sincerity, (he is destroyed) to the extent that he sees sincerity in himself. When he abandons seeing sincerity in himself he will be sincere and purified."

Assalamualaikum,

Can anyone please elaborate on the interpration of this hadith.

Jazakallah khair,
Faiz

on June 11, 2006 10:26 AM

This is not a hadith. Imam Al-Ghazali attributes this:

"One of them said: Whoever sees sincerity in his sincerity, his sincerity is itself in need of sincerity."

to As-Susi. Hussain Al-Awaayishah cites this in Kitaab al-Ikhlaas.

on June 11, 2006 11:12 AM

Sort of Catch22ish. If you think you are, you're not. If you don't think you are, you are but you don't know.

Hahahaha

on June 11, 2006 1:31 PM

Actually worse...

If you don't think you are, you MIGHT be but you don't know.

on June 12, 2006 11:08 AM