« For Once Think About Yourself | Main | Pleasant Reminders »
August 22, 2005
THE PRINCESS AND THE PAUPER

by Bint Abdul Khaliq

A little girl is trying to sleep. She has not had supper. The pavement is cold and hard. She ignores this and pretends she is asleep in a warm bed. She imagines herself pulling the covers closer until the stiff cardboard in her hands reminds her of the harsh reality. Her tummy rumbles restlessly. She will have to search the bins tomorrow, even though she hates it. Her empty tummy forces her to stoop to that level. People move past her, many not even aware of the tiny figure hidden in the shadows. Some laugh at her. She doesnt care. She needs a place to sleep tonight.

A little girl is trying to sleep. She has not had supper. She is very angry. Going to bed without supper would teach them! Her parents were angry too. A ten-year-old child demanding a cell phonethis they felt was going a tad overboard. Why couldnt she play with her multitude of expensive doll houses and trendy gadgets? It is this argument that ends with the little girl stomping off to bed without any supper.

A little girl is awakened by the sound of birds. A hand smoothes her hairor rather grabs it. She is jerked upright and sworn at. Filthy street kids...didnt they know better than taking up place on a public pavement? Giving the town a bad name! She doesnt flinch. She has become immune to abuse. No one likes her. No one ever will. She still has to live, she still has to sleep and eat. A will to survive burns inside her. She will not give up..

A little girl is awakened by the sound of birds. A hand smoothes her hair. Her mother plants a kiss on forehead. How is her little girl? Not at all happy. Mother smilesthey were too harsh on her the night before. She was mature enough, after all, and she did make them awfully proud of her in school. What model would you like to have sweetie? An excited little girl hugs her parents while they bask in the feeling of her approval. No one could accuse them of being bad parents. The little girl smiles inside. She knew she would get her way. She always did.

A little girl crosses the road, clutching her stomach. She stares at the cell phone store in front of her. Why would people waste money on phones when they could buy food? She would never understand. She passes a smartly dressed little girl holding on to her doting parents. She feels only contempt towards them...She catches the little girls eyes for a moment, hoping to stir some pity within her. Perhaps she would feel sorry for her

A little girl crosses the road. She is very happy. She has just managed to convince her parents to get he the best cell phone on the market! She smiles inwardly. She always got what she wanted. She passes a smelly, scraggly-looking girl. They locked eyes for a moment. She immediately felt such contempt towards the pathetic figure staring at her. There was such desperation in those sad eyes. For a moment she felt guiltythen she turned away in disgust and gazed lovingly at her new cell phone

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (PBUH) said, "One who strives to help the widows and the poor is like the one who fights in the way of Allah.'' The narrator said: I think that he (PBUH) added also: "I shall regard him as the one who stands up (for prayer) without rest and as the one who observes fasts continuously".
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Narrated Ash-sha'bi: The clerk of Al-Mughira bin Shu'ba narrated, "Muawiya wrote to Al-Mughira bin Shu'ba: Write to me something which you have heard from the Prophet (p.b.u.h) ." So Al-Mughira wrote: I heard the Prophet saying, "Allah has hated for you three things:

1. Vain talks, (useless talk) that you talk too much or about others.

2. Wasting of wealth (by extravagance)

3. And asking too many questions (in disputed religious matters) or asking others for something (except in great need). (See Hadith No. 591, Vol. Ill)
[Al-Bukhari Volume 2, Book 24, Number 555]

mashaAllah...I love the structure...the point was beautifully and artfully expressed...

on August 22, 2005 12:16 PM
asef said

Ukhti, this is a piece of which there is no parallel (that I have read) on Hidaya...Masha'Allah.

I would like to see this article posted in all Islamic journals in the USA...insha'Allah.

Great work...Jazakum Allah Khairan!

on August 22, 2005 8:22 PM
Basel said

JazakAllah khair sis,

Here I was, contemplating buying a Mini Cooper S, and your article made me remember that there are people in Niger and Mali who are eating from the carcasses of dead animals!

$1.50 can feed a family for a day...
If anyone was touched by this article, and can spare even a dollar, go to http://www.irw.org/foodcrisis and make a donation, and/or get people to donate, inshAllah.

on August 22, 2005 10:55 PM
Bint Saeed said

SubhanAllah, if this doesnt wake us up I dont know what will. Very Very Very well written, may Allah SWT reward you for it and may we take heed, Ya Rabb may we take heed! Ameen!

Wasalaam Walaykum

on August 22, 2005 11:23 PM
Tanweer said

As-salamu 'Alaikum,

Subhanallah this was an excellent article.

I have a qs. How does one really define Israaf?

I have heard 2 opinions:

1) anything beyond necessity is Israaf.

2)At the almaghrib class, Sh Yasser was saying that its ok to live according to your means.

In other words if the parents were filthy rich then it was ok for them to buy their daughter a cell phone.

No matter what the definition is, its very important to note that Allah(swt) says in Surah Nisa that He has favored some of you over others in sustenance...So if one feels jealous of another or if one feels arrogant because of wealth(Surah Iqra), then both are at fault. We should be content with whatever we have and feel happy for others at all times. If not, then its as if we are not happy with Allah giving wealth to whom He wills, we are not happy with the qadr of Allah.

May Allah protect us and cleanse our hearts.

Tanweer

on August 23, 2005 2:40 PM
reader said

MashaAllah nice article, well structured and well written.

on August 23, 2005 7:33 PM
Belal said

An excellent way of letting us know what is more important- Allah SWT rather than money and riches.

The people who have the most money may think that they are happy but their not. Money and cell phones do not bring happiness.

Only Allah SWT can bring happiness, and his followers will be happy especially on the Day of Judgment.

on August 23, 2005 8:50 PM

ISRA AND MI'RAJ CONFERENCE

Saturday August 27 and Sunday August 28, 2005

University of Maryland, Shady Grove Center (USM),
Rockville, MD

Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim

"Glory be to Allah Who transported His servant by
night from the sacred Masjid (at Makkah) to the
distant Masjid (in Jerusalem) whose surrounding
territory We have blessed." (Al-Qur'an 17:1)

Connecting to the Heart of Islam:
Doorway to Nobility and Ascension

"Truly Allah does not change the condition of a people until they change what is in their selves." (Al-Qur'an 13:11)

Overseas Speakers:
Shaykh Ahmed Abu Bakr ("Ba Bakr") Al-Sudani, England
Dr. Reza Shah Kazmi, England
Haji Noorudeen, China
Hazrat Khawaja Ghulam Qutab Ud-Din Faridi, Pakistan

National Guest Speakers:
Sidi Muhammad Bin Yahya Al-Husaini Al-Ninowi, GA(Syria)
Imam Magid Bin Muhammad Hagmagid, VA (Sudan)
Shaykh Ahmed Abdur Rashid, VA
Shaykh Harun Rashid Fayee, SC (Senegal)
Shaykh Nooruddeen Durkee, VA
Sidi Sayyed Zain Al-Abedin
Dr. Abdulhaq Godlas
Hajjah Noura Durkee, VA
Sister Aisha Prime, VA
Sister Maryam Kabeer
Sidi Syed Salahuddin, NJ (Pakistan)
Dr. Zafar Noori, VA (Pakistan)
Dr. Sulayman Nyang, Washington DC (Gambia)

Qur'an, Hamd, Qasa'id, Poetry:
Qari Hafiz Shaikh Abdul Khader Multani, SC(India)
Sidi Noor Muhammad Jarral, VA
Moroccan Brorthers Group, Sudanese Brothers Group & others.

HIGHLIGHTS
Enlightening Spiritual Discourse
Panel Discussion with Shuyukh
Youth Program
Congregational Salat
Qur'an Recitation
Durood Sharif
Madih (Qasidah)
Bazaar
Free Halal Meals
Chinese Islamic Calligraphy Demonstration

-------------------------------------------------

Where
University of Maryland, Shady Grove Center (USM)
9630 Gudelsky Drive (Bldg 2)
Rockville, MD 20850

Call 301.738.6023 for more detailed information

For Directions please visit:
www.shadygrove.umd.edu/about/directions/

When
Friday August 26, 2005 from 7:45pm - 10:15pm (Quality Suites Hotel 800-638-8559)
Saturday August 27, 2005 from 9am - 10pm (at USM Shady Grove)
Sunday August 28, 2005 from 9am - 5pm (at USM Shady Grove)

www.IsraInternational.com

on August 24, 2005 1:40 AM

Bint, do you or your sister know a muslimah named Hameedha from South Africa who is now studying at Qasid Institute?

on August 24, 2005 1:41 AM

No time to comment specifically,but Jazakallah for all the wonderful advices!May Allah guide us all insha Allah.Ameen.

Sis Justoju maaf,don't know of anyone there by that name.Where is the Qasid institute btw?

Was salaam

on August 24, 2005 1:45 PM

It an Arabic Institute in Amman. I have studied Arabic in different places before and I swear I have never benefitted as much as I have from Qasid. They have a really hardcore program (no matter what your level) and they make a huge amount of effort to take care of our needs and preferences.

Because the local dialect of the Levant ('The Shaam'= Palestine, Jordan, Syria) is closest amongst arabic dialects to classical fussha, you have all sorts of interesting people from diff. parts of the world who come study Arabic here. My flatmates are from singapore, london, and dubai. We have a few nonmuslims who came here over the summer to study arabic for the first time, and are now going back to their countries being able to converse in fussha...and after having taken their shahaadas. Its amazing stuff.

(I HAVE to write an article about this visit lol)

on August 25, 2005 3:16 AM
Bint Saeed said

Ya ukhti Justojo,

Have you been to Qasid recently?? I know of a sister who went to Fajr and I believe also one who mentioned going to Qasid. It is a really good program?? do write an article about it because I've been trying to figure out where to go abroad and study.

Wasalaam Walyakum

on August 25, 2005 9:16 PM
Ayman said

Where else have you studied arabic? just curious to know. I know the fajr program is great in Cairo(I believe).

on August 26, 2005 1:40 AM

AssalamuAlaikum,

I have studied arabic in the States, in Saudi, and am now studying it at Qasid. And I have heard good things about the Fajr program, but since I havent been there, I cant give any real info regarding it. If you have any questions about Qasid I could answer those.

I am amazed by how the staff and faculty go out of their way to take care of us in every way, from having us picked up at the airport, to taking us out to get our iqamahs, to organizing class trips and supplementary classes based on our interests, to getting an extra bookshelf for your room if you desire one, to ordering lunch of our choice from restaurants of our choice every day...and the list goes on...

I have to stop raving about it in my comments so that I have some material left for my article :).

on August 26, 2005 5:13 AM

Oh and you dont think of it much until you get there, but it really really helps to be in a country that has a stable political climate...

(it also helps to get parental approval ;) )

on August 26, 2005 5:25 AM
asef said

Salaam Everyone:

******** J U M M A H - M U B A R I K ********

Ukhti Justoju: looking forward to your article about your learning of Arabic at Qasid, Insha'Allah.

Ma'assalaama

on August 26, 2005 11:30 AM

As Salaamu alaikum

Masha Allah sis,can't wait for the write up.I've also heard of very good reviews of the Fajr institute in Egypt.I had once made up my mind to study there,but beacuse of certain restrictions it was not meant to be.The Qasid institute does sound great though,masha Allah.I do know of some South Africans who have studied Arabic in Jordan,though not at that institute.May Allah make your studies easy and enjoyable and make you benefit immensly from them.Ameen.

Duas

Was Salaam

on August 26, 2005 12:56 PM
Ayman said

where in Saudi are there good programs. aside from the major universities, such as university of madinah and ummul qura

on August 26, 2005 3:06 PM
Justoju (should really be studying for my final right now) said

Br. Ayman, aside from major universities, there are many places in Saudi where you can get private tutoring. I dont know of any program there that is like Qasid or Fajr though.

on August 26, 2005 5:24 PM
Justoju (should really REALLY be studying for my final right now) said

Oh and I have also heard some amazing things about the Badr Institute. They TOTALLY immerse you in the language.

on August 27, 2005 2:42 AM
Justoju (should really REALLY REALLY be studying for my final right now) said

This 'Study Abroad' page on the deen intensive website lists a number of arabic institutes:

on August 27, 2005 2:47 AM

Thankyou for such a wonderful article, sister, I am glad you are writing this piece, it was very sad but had a lot of lessons. Your articles and Br. Rami's articles on social justice and what goes around the world are hats off, the best articles ever. Continue to write for us and may Allaah bless you both immensly,ameen.

Signing off,
Ibtisam

on August 27, 2005 11:38 PM

In a business ethics class I once took we dealt with the case of a certain American glue company that would export its glue (which was illegal in the US) to certain South American countries, knowing full well that the glue contained an addictive element that would cause hallucinations and would slowly cause the nervous system of the 'sniffer' to deterioate. Because the majority of the glue-abusers were homeless, parentless, 'street rats', the issue was not of concern for them...they saw it as something that actually increased their sales.

When one of the children was asked why he continued to sniff glue despite his seeing first-hand what it was doing to other kids around him, he said that when he sniffed he would hallucinate about his mother stroking him and singing to him.

on August 28, 2005 2:28 AM

...Subhanallah that is so sad.Makes you want to cry...Sometimes I wonder how cruel people can get.Its a cruel world we live in.May Allah imbue us all with the mercy of our beloved Prophet (SAWS).

Was Salaam

on August 28, 2005 4:58 AM

Oh Allah please soften our hearts...

on August 28, 2005 5:06 AM
Donate Generously said

لاإله إلاَّالله

on August 28, 2005 12:22 PM
FATOU said

IAM SO SO SORRY GIRLS

on January 8, 2008 11:32 PM
FATOU said

لاإله إلاَّالله

(I have to write an article about this visit lol)

on January 8, 2008 11:35 PM
talib said

لا اله الا الله و ان محمد رسول الله

just think about the amount of food you throw every day ,,, & say

Allah help them and Alhamdulelah

Help with any thing that you can and you will get your money with intrest before ALLAH

on February 12, 2008 6:14 AM